"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, August 28, 2013

Joshua's Pregnancy Thoughts

It will come as no surprise that Joshua has a lot to say (and think about) these days.  He totally cracks me up!


  • After we told the kids about the baby, Joshua said nothing.  He later heard one of the kids comment that I was pregnant.  He looked at me and said, "What?  You are pregnant?!  Why didn't you tell me?"  I reminded him that we just had, and he replied, "Well yeah - but I figured you were joking.  You don't look pregnant to me!"
  • That same day he asked me if it hurt when the doctor put the baby in my tummy. I explained that I did not need the doctor to put the baby in my tummy - but she would help us get the baby out.  He got really puzzled.  Then he asked, "So how DOES the baby get in there?"  I explained that the daddy helps.  Then he turned to his daddy, who was very uncomfortable with this line of questioning and said, "Daddy, how many babies did you put in mommy's tummy?"  Always the rescuer, I said, "Well we are not totally sure, but it is probably just one baby."  That made NO sense to Joshua.  He said, "Why don't you know Daddy?  Did you close your eyes or something?  You really should have looked!"
  • The youngest kids had really, really been hoping for twins.  There is a huge family history of twins AND I am showing much sooner than I ever have before, so they were quite hopeful.  Unfortunately for them all indications point to one baby and one momma with absolutely NO abdominal muscles left after 4 previous pregnancies.  Anyway, the first time Joshua noticed my tummy poking out he said, "Mom I gotta tell you, your tummy looks like butt cheeks."  I nearly laughed until I cried about that one.
  • The other morning I was wearing a dress.  I thought it hid my growing belly quite nicely.  I guess I was wrong, because when Joshua walked into my bathroom to give me a good morning hug he said, "Mom! That baby got even huger while you slept!"  I replied, "Do you really think so?  I was thinking this dress hid the baby pretty well."  He was quick to set me straight!  He said, "Are you kidding me?  That baby is poking out like crazy!  I can see him right here!" and he poked me in the belly to prove his point!
I am so thankful for the laughter Joshua Gubs brings to this family.  He can ALWAYS make me laugh out loud!