"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, September 10, 2016

Mataya Hope at 2.5

At 2.5 Mataya Hope. . .
*is absolutely, positively "the baby of the family" in every sense of the word.  While she is quite grown up for her age, her approach to life is that of a "baby."  She works a crowd, sweetly charming all around her, seeing just how much attention she can get.  And when things don't quite go her way. . . all sweetness disappears and a big old fit ensues.  (Not always, of course.  She is not a monster child - but her approach at life is textbook baby.  It cracks me up because although Brenna was the baby for many years, as was Joshua, she is the first that fits the "baby" mold in terms of personality and problem solving.)
*is a total momma's girl.  "NO!!!!! Momma do it!" is shouted often and loudly when anyone else wishes to help her.  When she hears that I am planning to go anywhere her first words are always, "I go with you?"  She does fine when I am away, but weeps at the very thought.
*cries, "I just want my Daddy" in a small pitiful voice when momma refuses her.  BUT only when he is not home to come to her rescue.
*hates going to bed.
*loves all things preschool - painting, coloring, play dough, sidewalk chalk, puzzles, short videos, and books - lots and lots of books.


*is very literal in her play.  I often find water in the sink of her play kitchen.  She gets real utensils out when she is "cooking."  She keeps the sippy cup she is drinking from in her pretend fridge.
*has graduated from the "froggy potty."  (YES!!!  While the potty chair was a step up from diapers, simply flushing trumps dumping out that little bucket by a landslide!)
*loves to play with dolls.  Once again she is very literal.  They need matching clothes, blankets, bottles, etc...)  I love to watch her rock and bounce and talk to them!
*enjoys her nephew Wyatt.  They even (sort of) play together once in a while!
*is very physical and active.  She loves to race, climb, and jump.  She walks in the store (ugh!) and has totally vetoed the stroller.
*loves to change clothes.  She goes through about 5 outfits a day.
*does very well playing while I work at the office.  She likes to explore in daddy's machines when given the chance.

*has an incredible vocabulary and speaks paragraphs.  One day she told me, "Mom, Brenna gave me chap chap."  I responded how nice it was that Brenna shared.  She chirped back, "Brenna is amazing mommy.  I look up at her!"
*speaks about herself in first person.  When asked her name she usually responds, "TayTay."  But sometimes she says, "Mataya."
*she likes to count everything.
*if asked what she wants to do, she usually says "go to zoo!"  Mommy's IPad is another favorite.  Ugh!
*likes the color pink best.
*can sit through an entire movie, when she chooses.  That is fun because movies are a favorite Friday night activity around here.
*loves to tease.
*is NOT happy that Jamison went to college.  She has only seen him once since he moved out and she refused to talk to him or hug him.  She told me, "I mad at him.  He go away!"
*eats like a bird.  This little one has never had a very big appetite.
*understands that God heals.  All summer long we have been praying for God to heal one injury or another - bug bites, skinned knees, stubbed toes. . . Last week I had a nasty stomach ache.  When she heard about it Mataya said, "God will heal it mommy.  I pray for you."  She continued with eyes scrunched closed, "God mommy tummy.  Heal it.  Amen."
*likes the alone time with mom when the kids are at school.
*has begun responding to almost everything with "why?"
*is soooo excited about the baby girl in her big sister's tummy.  She talks about the beby all the time.  She can not wait to see her.  She says, "I will hold her in chair.  I sing her a song and kiss her.  She be sooo cute."  Mataya insisted that we dig out the rock and play so the baby has a place to sleep at our house once she arrives.  She also begs to buy her things every time we are shopping.  And every item she picks is... pink!  Her excitement is so precious.

Chad and I often laugh because Mataya is so different than our first four children.  She is wild and carefree and manipulative in a way they were not.  I have said many times that she is making me a better grandma!  Things that I took for granted with the other kids have not come easy with her.  For example, nursing was a bust.  I always thought anyone could nurse if they worked at it hard enough.  She changed my mind!  There was a time when she was truly not capable of sitting quietly for more than 5-10 minutes.  Chad and I always took the oldest kids everywhere with us.  With Mataya, we chose activities carefully.  We took turns going to the older kids' concerts and did not go out to eat for about six months.  It was not a behavior problem, she was just not capable.  Another new experience.

Mataya is truly the sweetest little thing.  She is bold and silly and pure fun 85% of the time.  She waves happily to strangers and chats with lonely old men at restaurants.  She radiates joy.  And yet. . .she can turn on a dime and throw a fit like few others.  Some days she depletes me to a level I did not think a two year old could deplete a parent.  Thankfully, most days she is all sunshine and completes us in such a delightful way.  I have never enjoyed a little person more, but she is no robot!  He doctor called her out well.  At her one year check he told me, "She is really smart.  Give her an inch, she will take a mile.  I suggest a short leash!"  (Keep in mind he has been our pediatrician for 20 years.  He knows me well, and I he.  His casual speech was fitting of our relationship.)

One day last week we had a perfectly, perfect morning.  We dressed dollies.  Colored.  Made supper together (she loves to mix and measure).  Did an exercise video.  Read books.  Folded clothes.  And I introduced her to Dora the Explorer on video.  (yes, on purpose)  She loved it, especially because I danced and yelled to Dora and Boots right along with her.  At nap time, she gave me the biggest, tightest hug and said, "It a good day momma.  You my best friend."

Those moments are the ones I want to hide in my heart.  Forever.
Mataya Hope, you are a gift.  I am so thankful God sent you to us.  So thankful!