"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, September 10, 2018

Chasing Beauty

I have not blogged in so long that I thought I was done. 

The world has become noisy.  Everything seems to have an agenda.  Facebook and Instagram have become marketplaces as much as connection places.  Blogs, too, are often an attempt to grow an audience.  There is nothing within me that wants to sell a product or grow an audience. 

What I have longed for is quiet.  Privacy.  Solitude. White space.  Rest.

Daily, I have spent the predawn hours with my Bible and journal.  Writing has become personal rather than public. 

But tonight, for some reason, after editing the photos I snapped today, my heart longed to share.

You see, God gave me the opportunity to spend my entire day chasing beauty.  It began before the sun came up as I prayed over the day to come.  I knew there was some hard to be faced today, and I asked for grace, wisdom, and patience for the journey ahead.  And I felt Him whisper, "Watch for my hand.  It is beautiful."

There was a moment, mid-morning, when push almost came to shove - but by His grace, instead of shove, I loved.  A break was offered to a reluctant, fearful learner.  Prayer.  A cup of coffee with lots of cream.   And instead of tears and angry words, I received hard work and determination.

"You were right, Lord," my heart cried.  "Your hand is beautiful."

After lunch, we headed outside for Science and PE.  From a practical standpoint, we kayaked, hiked, and navigated.  We searched for birds and discovered their names through a really fun Ap. They were the lessons I had planned - BUT, in His incredible grace, God had created a fall wonderland right outside our door.  Exploring His creation felt miraculous.  It was day that my mind's eye will never forget.

The moments were long. 

Unrushed. 

Brilliant. 

Wild. 

Healing. 

And oh so incredibly beautiful. 

The water was still.  The sun sparkling.  My children buoyant.






 My son asked to be in photos.



















My heart overflows tonight.  The day was not easy.  There was a point in which God pulled me back from the edge.  I very nearly missed the beauty.  I very nearly chose pride, stubbornness, and my way over His.  

All too often, I do just that; I choose my way and miss the beauty that is His.  But today. . . today I did OK.  And in return, He lavished beauty upon everything.

The most beautiful?  My son's joy and gratitude. His pride in accomplishment.  His hug. 

Tomorrow may be another hard day, but by God's grace I will look for and see His beauty in each moment.   I hope you see it, too.

"He has made everything beautiful in its time."  Ecc 3:1

***I have no idea if I will continue to blog or not.  I guess we shall see where He leads.***