"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, January 18, 2019

Switcheroo

Because I am a glutton for punishment, I recently agreed to let my kids do some bedroom swapping.  Brenna has always had the smallest room on the second level.  She has been wishing to move into Krissy's former room for years, and I kept dragging my feet.  My excuse was that until Jamison and Ida got married, I needed a bedroom for each of them.  Which was true, however the real reason I did not want her to swap rooms was that I knew Brenna would want to paint, and the idea of painting just overwhelmed me.  Painting Krissy's room, would be a big task.  And it would lead into another big task - painting Brenna's room to match the things I had in the guest room/Krissy's room.  So rather than move anyone, I just kept saying, "Wait!"

But. . . I finally decided that it was time to cave, after all Brenna only has 2.5 years left under our roof!  So we allowed her to paint over Christmas break.  She painted the entire room and ceiling, by herself.  And it is a big room.  She also moved all the stuff that was in it out.

Into the hall. . .

But out.

Chad built her the bed, nightstand, and table/desk she fell in love with on Pinterest.  And wallah!  She had a whole new room with a completely new look.

 We suggested that she keep her new room clean.
Apparently this is her version of clean.
If you had seen past versions, you would recognize the progress.
UFF!
 I LOVE this little nightstand.  Chad made it from wood leftover from the bed and scrap metal sitting around the shop.  It is so stinkin' cute!
 We need to order a cute stool.
Some pale grey sheets.
And a big mirror.
Also -  the walls are white, with a touch of grey.  I do not know why they photographed pinkish tan?

Last Friday night, while this tall beauty was at her winter formal, I started repainting her old room.  It felt a bit historic.  We have now been here long enough that a fresh coat of paint was needed on all the walls before I moved stuff back in.  Two walls I repainted the canvas tan (white) they have always been.  The other two walls I painted the deep chocolate brown from Krissy's room.  (Builder tip - buy good quality paint.  Six and a half years later, I stirred up my paint and it want on without a drip or clump!)  By 2am, I had the room repainted and the furniture moved in!  I hung pictures the next day, and wahlah!  One more room successfully shifted!

 I still need Chad to rehang the headboard,  but outside of that it is complete.  I even got the crib back together all by myself!
This might be my favorite wall in my whole home.  One baby pic of each of our kids and grandkids.  Oh, the nostalgia remembering each of those babes bring!
The good news is that I love this little bedroom set up this way!
And fresh paint makes me happy.

I think I mentioned being a glutton for punishment?  Well, to prove that, Saturday I moved on to Jamison's old room.  I decided that since it was in dire need of a fresh coat of paint, and I had everything out anyway. . .

So I repainted Jamison's old room and moved Joshua into it.
He says he "downsized" because Jamison's room is smaller than his old room is, but it looks fresh and grown-up - and he is very proud!


This flag used to fly in my Grandpa and Grandma Regner's farmyard. My momma gave it to Joshua after he received his citizenship.  He is so thrilled.  He has also asked if she would bring him an Ethiopian flag home from her next trip to the country of his birth so that he can hang it in his room as well.  BOTH make me so happy.  His growing identity and comfort in who he is amazes and inspires me.  It is such an answer to prayer.

I have one more room swap planned.  Soon, I will repaint Joshua's old room.  It will become a playroom/classroom.  For now. . .

Once Sierra is settled in a place of her own and I save a bit of cash, I want to tear out the wall between her bedroom and Joshua's to create a large rec/movie room.  

It is a good thing Chad likes a remodeling project as much as I do because I am learning that as our family grows, ages and changes so do our needs in our home.  Where once I needed 7 bedrooms, I now only need 4! Instead of bedrooms, a large gathering space for when all my people come home would be wonderful!

Times are a changing!  I only used one pound of hamburger in my meatloaf for supper. . . and we had leftovers!  At one time, I made three pounds of meatloaf and left the table hungry-ish.  The really exciting about the changes, is that my heart is content.  I LOVED the days of old.  I LOVED every (OK so almost every) moment of raising the oldest kids.  BUT, I do not wish for those days back.  I am happy for where all of us are right now.  What a blessing that is!