"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, February 20, 2014

One Room Ready, One to GO


 When Chad and I drew up the plans for this house, we chose to leave one space unfinished.  We were not sure what it would be used for or when we would need it, but it just felt right to have it.  It was a large space that we jokingly called "the triplets room" while we were building.  (Now that freaked a few people out!)

When we found out that baby #6 was on the way, we asked Joshua if he would like to move into that space, or if the baby should.  He was quite excited about moving upstairs like the rest of the big kids.  I, however, was not in a hurry to begin constructing.  I asked Chad to wait until after Christmas, hoping for a quiet, dust-free, and relaxing holiday season.  
The first weekend after Christmas, the girls helped me clean up the space.

We needed to get all the storage stuff organized neatly into one-third of the room.  It was not so easy, but we did it!
Chad started framing right away.  He needed to build a dividing wall/closets.  The perimeter had already been framed, insulated, wired, and sheetrocked.
Sheetrock came next.
He got that up in record time.
Next came taping.  I do not comprehend why, but Chad actually likes taping.  (I do not!)
Taping took a while, it is a large room with 2 closets, and lots of corners.

He also did the texturing.
It looks so good.

I am so thankful for his skills!

Typically I take over once the walls are textured.  I am do the painting, staining, and lacquering.  But. . . not so much this time!  Poor Chad!  True love is painting one room 3 different colors to please your cheapo wife!  (I wanted to use up existing paint.)  Joshua and I did help paint some - but Chad did by far the most.  And he did all of the staining and lacquering.  Those are not his favorite tasks - but he did an incredible job!

We had to wait just a bit on the carpet layers - but in the end we moved Joshua into his new room only four days after my Valentine's Day goal.  
Joshua is THRILLED with his new room.  While he has not always transitioned well, he has done perfectly with this transition!  He has gone to sleep nicely, slept all night, and gotten himself up when his alarm goes off in the morning - just like the big kids!  I am so pleased and thankful!

This weekend we plan to prime and repaint his old room (which was navy blue) for the baby.
I will be quite relieved to have it done!  The baby crib plugging up the front entryway has got to go!