"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, June 12, 2014

She's the Icing on My Cake

Although I chose to resign from my job for reasons outside of Mataya's birth, she is MOST CERTAINLY the icing on my cake! 

On Tuesday, Mataya Hope was 12 weeks old.  Had things gone as planned, she would have started day care on that day.  While I was comfortable with the child care arrangements we had made, I am also thrilled that we will not be needing them.  

The kids all agree.  We went out for dinner on Tuesday night to celebrate my under-employment.  When I told them it was supposed to be Mataya's first day at day care, they unanimously agreed that snuggled up with momma is a much better spot for her.  Jamison is the one who appears least worried about our little lady and he said, "Woah!  Already?  She's way too little!"  (Sometimes the importance of my kids supporting my decisions surprises me.  Their simple words of affirmation made me feel so good.)


I often say that contracting is a lot like farming. . . when it is good, it is really good - but when it's not good, it is really not good!  I have no idea how long I will be able to work only for Chad.  It may be forever or it may be just six months.  I am tempted to worry about what I will do next, and then she smiles her crazy joyful, full-body smile and I remember that today is enough.  Today I have the honor of being with her each and every moment.  Instead of worrying about what life will be like in six months, I am choosing to rejoice in today knowing that God will always take care of our tomorrows.

FYI - I am thrilled to be home with ALL of my kids.  The benefit is not just for the baby; however since she is the only one who would have been shipped off to day care this summer, the benefit seems largest with her.  Being home to hang with our older kids is beyond priceless as well.  I adore being home as they roll out of bed each morning.  I love hearing their stories throughout the day.  I am so thankful that we can have their friends here all the time, and I am never left wondering what is going on at my house while I am away.  I love being able to get them to their activities with so much less stress.  I love the much more relaxed feeling that permeates out home these days.  Having the time to savor motherhood is a gift.  I am very grateful for this time.