"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, October 11, 2014

WDA 2014

 Today was the WDA (Regional) Cross Country Meet.

To be honest, I was more nervous than Jamison. . . perhaps.

It has been a rough couple of weeks in his XC world.  He's been a little banged up both physically and mentally.  And then there was a bunch of team drama this week.  Drama and a boy's xc team do not usually go together - but this week they did.

To this momma, this race felt very significant.  The Regional race is always significant, but this year, for our son, the meaning was a little deeper - in my opinion.  Jamison had a battle to fight.  The warrior in him needed to rise above it all.  He needed to believe with all his heart and soul and mind and strength that he was not created with a spirit of timidity.  That he has been commanded to be strong and courageous, to not be terrified, to not be discouraged because the Lord His God would be with him.  That he could do all things through Christ who strengthens him.  That the negative thoughts were lies.  The Voice of Truth needed to be the only on he heard.

Rising above is a life-skill that is WAY more important than any placing or time.  Today, through a race, he had the opportunity to learn a very important life skill.

This morning I knew in my gut that he was going to be just fine.  I was sure he was going to race, rather than just complete the run.  And yet I was still nervous. (I think I have mentioned that I struggle with the helplessness that is involved in parenting teens?)

Sierra, Mataya, and I arrived at the race together.  Sierra and I cried on the way there.  Jamison is just that kind of a kid.  Sierra calls him her hero.  I get to call him my son.  We fully expected to see the warrior rise up out of him.  Knowing what he was up against and how hard he had worked was emotional.  And then Sierra started to talk about the fact that next year he will be a senior. . . and then we were both sniffling.

Silly girls.
 Think this baby loves her RahRah?

Oh my!  They are precious together!
Jamison certainly has the cutest fans.
 This was the first race that I remember saying, "I can't wait until it is over!" at the start.  The suspense was making me crazy.
 And they are off!

 Today I waited out the race by myself.  Sierra and Chad were at another spot on the course.  They had Mataya and Joshua with them.  So I was by myself.

It was good.  I waited in this very spot praying for my son.
 When I saw him, right here, at the 1 mile mark, I knew for sure that it was going to be a good race for Jay.
 The determined look on his face said it all.



 Watching him power through the finish was so exciting.

He had done it.

He had raced.  He had faced the "demons" and come out on top.
 
When Jamison started summer training, he posted three goals in all his personal spaces.  One of them was to finish in the top 20 at the regional meet.  Today he met that goal with his 17th place finish.
 His team finished 2nd overall.  They had 6 boys finish in the top 20.


Patriot all-conference (top 20) runners.

As I type, the better part of the cross team is eating popcorn and playing video games (loudly) in our loft.  Their enthusiasm makes my heart happy.

Today was a good day.  But beyond any race results, I truly believe that in the life and heart of my son it was life-changing.  Learning to listen to and trust the Voice of Truth in the face of adversity, fighting and succeeding, knowing where your strength comes from - those are the things that grow a boy into a man.  I am so very thankful for the depth I see developing in my son.

I am proud of you, Jamison.  I'm proud of the race you ran, but I'm even more proud of the character I see taking root in your heart and soul.  Congratulations, my son.  Congratulations!