"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, May 26, 2015

Be Strong and Courgeous


One thing Chad has always dreamed of doing is going on a bear hunt.  This winter an unexpected opportunity popped up; and this week, his dream became a reality.  This week he, and our tall son, along with two buddies, are bear hunting.  

As you can see, it has been a successful hunt.

I have not spoken to either of my guys yet, but I have received a series of texts from Chad.

"We got them both.  Jay is pumped."

"2 blackies"

"I gave Jay my 300 (rifle) tonight.  Told him first kill with his new gun" (insert momma sniffles here)

"I (Chad) was going to be in a blind and couldn't find it so I climbed up a stand.  When I got to top I saw a bear watching me.  It came to the base of the tree and stared at me.  Then another came in and ate here for a while.  Then the original bear came to the tree again and started chewing on a bag I had by the tree so I spit on its ear and it went back to eating.  Then I judged its size and shot it.  Retrieving the bear was almost impossible because it was so muddy.  Pretty wild.  Jay was in a ground blind.  Same as the first night.  One shot kill.  My first shot and his were identical in location.  He made a good shot."

"Jay was alone"

"It is an adrenaline rush"

"It can be spooky.  Especially at dark.  They have a big wolf problem and cougars are getting that way.  So weird to feel a bit like the hunted."

"I had a bear huffing at me at dark.  I had my sight on and gun at my shoulder while pointing at the sound.  It went away when I turned on my headlamp."

"When Jay got to his blind the door was open and a chair was drug out."

"They are the stinkiest and tick infested animals"

I am not a hunter.  In fact, hunting is not important to me.  (Sorry, honey.)  However, this hunt is.  This hunt feels like an ancient rite of passage for my husband and son.  Though it has been a long time since I have considered Jamison a little boy, all day I have been nearly blown away by the thought that he is a strong, capable man.  

I was totally in awe of the idea that my son sat in the middle of the woods, all by himself, surrounded by wildlife - some of which would have eaten him given the chance - and slayed a big ole bear.

And then it hit me.

This.

This was an answer to prayer.

Although he does not know it, I have been circling Jamison in a verse all year.  It is one of my favorites, and this year I have been praying it over Jay.  

Joshua 1:9
 "Have I not commanded you be strong and courageous?  Do not be terrified.  Do not be discouraged.  For the Lord your God will be with you wherever you go."

It is a bit odd that the Lord has directed my heart to this verse.  Jamison is not a shy, wimpy kid.  On the contrary, he is quite mature.  A strong, encouraging leader.  Fun and funny.  Serious but not boring.  A planner.  Responsible.  Easy to talk to.  Not boastful.  Cautious and conscientious.  Structured.

Yet in light of all the changes that will soon take place in his young life, all the decisions he will need to make as he approaches the end of High School, this verse has resounded in my spirit whenever I pray for him.

As I said before, hunting is not important to me.  Character is.

God gave Jamison an opportunity today to be strong and courageous.  To face fear and refuse to be terrified.  To wait without being discouraged.  To feel the presence of the Lord in a unique way, alone in the wilderness.

I firmly believe that this experience will cling to Jamison.  I believe that the Lord can and will use this trip to deepen the character of my son.  I believe the Lord will use this experience as preparation (in a metaphorical way) for things to come.

Thank you Jesus.

(On a side note.  I do not have a picture of Chad's bear yet.  Chad reports that Jamison's is 20-30 lbs heavier than his.  His is older, probably 10 to 14.  The guys are having an incredible time.  The rest of the week will be spent fishing.  And if you are wondering what will happen to the bear. . . think rugs. I have been teasing Jamison that some day he will get down on one knee and ask a lucky young lady if she would marry him and his bear skin rug?!?  Ha!)