"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, October 26, 2015

He Saved His BEST for Last!

It was a very difficult week.

First, Mataya got the flu.

Then I did.

It was bad.  I can't remember the last time I was that sick.  Along with sick, I was terrified - terrified that Jamison would get the flu, and it would affect his ability to run at the state meet.

As soon as I started puking, I texted a couple of trusted prayer warriors begging them to pray that Jamison would be protected.

We left for the meet on Friday.  I was still weak, but I was able to get us all packed up with a lot of help from my girls.  (Chad had the flu overnight - but he was sort of OK to go as well.)

We got about 3.5 hours into our road trip, and Brenna started puking.  Poor girl!  Stuck in the car with the flu is about as bad as it gets.

I was so frustrated.  I had planned for this meet to be a little family get away.  I rented a hotel room so the kids could swim, and I had promised to take the girls shopping.  I wanted it to be a party.  Instead, it was more like a nightmare.

We got to the hotel and tucked Brenna into bed.

Chad took the little ones to the pool. (Amazing news!  Joshua had his cast removed the day before we left!  He was able to swim!  He was one happy boy!)

I took Sierra shopping, as promised.  Chad and I were both exhausted, but we were trying to keep our promises.

By 3 AM, Sierra was puking.

When I heard her head to the bathroom, my sleep ended.  For the rest of the night, I lay in bed and pleaded with God to protect Jamison.  I SO wanted him to be physically capable of running.  He had dreamed of his senior year at the State Championship race for 4 or 5 years, I could not stand the thought of him getting ill.

After an endless night, Chad and I were feeling exhausted and weary.  I was an emotional mess.  Jamison's final high school race would have been emotional no matter what, but my worry and my exhaustion did not help.  I was blinking back tears most of the morning.

Sierra was too sick to go to the race, so we left her at the hotel.  She calls Jamison her hero.  She was devastated to miss this race.

We got to the course in time to check it out and make our plan.  A "good" cross fan runs around the course like a crazy person, in order to cheer on their runner as many times as possible.  Chad and I were both wiped, so we were trying to figure out just how far and how fast we could run.  Plus, I was a nervous wreck, moving, even slowly, helped me.

We watched the girls run.

By this point Mataya was a crab apple.  She needed a nap - but refused to cave.  Chad and I were both dead on our feet.  And I was more nervous than I have ever been before a race.  In all honesty at that moment, I just wanted the race to be OVER!

The gun went off and we started tearing around the course doing our best to cheer on our boy.

The state meet is always a thing of beauty.  Usually there are not many fans at cross - but at the state meet, there is a wall of people.  The kids run through a tunnel of cheerleaders almost every step of the way.  This particular course was really fun for the fans because you could see the runners often - with a little foot work, that is!

Jamison started out strong and fast.

At one point in the race, we were able to watch him from afar and it was amazing.  He has worked really hard this season on changing his stride.  It is very difficult to reframe your body - however, he did it.  As I gazed at our son while he raced, I know I have never seen him run more beautifully.



As we ran from spot to spot to watch him run, my heart nearly burst.  It was happening.  The race he had wished for always was taking place.  He was racing hard and fast and beautifully.  He looked strong and confident - and by the way, when did he get so old?!?

He stayed within in the top 20 the entire race.  After the mile mark, he was not passed.  He moved his way up the chase pack all the way to 14th!  And he nearly caught the guy ahead of him.  He raced his fastest time in his career.  (16.45) He met every single one of his goals.

Every single one!

(He later told me that at the mile mark he felt rough.  They started much faster than usual, and he had to take a moment to redirect his mind and body.  But when he reminded himself to hold his form and lengthen his strides, it all fell into place.  He felt great.  He looked incredible.  And for the first time all season, he was not even sore the day after the race.)

What a blessing!  I am so incredibly thankful that the Lord protected him from this flu that is still affecting our family.  I am so incredibly thankful that the Lord allowed his mind and body to work the way they did during that race.  What a blessing!

It took forever to find Jamison after the race.  There were SO many people there - but when we finally did get to him, it was his dad that grabbed him for the first hug.  Chad was so thrilled to see Jamison race that way.  (Remember he missed WDA)  Chad usually steps back and allows me to grab our kids first - but Saturday, he did not.  I was so thrilled to watch him congratulate our boy.

This final race was followed by an award ceremony, and lots and lots of pictures.  I forgot my real camera at home, so I just have a few cell phone shots - but it is just as well. Sometimes it is good to just be a fan.

 Jamison was called on stage to receive his award for being an All State Runner.

His team had four runners earning All State titles (top 20).  This ties the school record.
As a team, they finished 2nd.
This also ties the school record.
However, in the end, they will go down as the fastest team in school history because all 10 of their runners finished the race so quickly.  Their 10th runner was in 53rd place.  There was not another team at the meet that had all of their runners cross the line that fast.
Pictured above are the coaches and the senior athletes.
 Sweet Brenna-girl wanted a pic with her big brother.
She is pretty sure he hung the moon.
(I am so thankful for the relationship Jamison has with his sisters.)
I wanted a picture of these two.
My dad is perhaps Jamison's biggest fan.  He and my mom came the vast majority of his meets.  For most people, cross country is not a "fun" sport to follow.  There are not bleachers, and many times you only see your runner for a couple of seconds during the race.  My parents chose to make Jamison's sport of choice, their sport of choice.  My mom currently has a fractured foot - but she chose to brave the uneven terrain of a golf course because she loves my son.  She was positioned to take photos and supported him in her quiet, loyal, always selfless manner, even though home would have been a much more comfortable place to be.  My dad has rearranged his entire fall schedule so that he would be at nearly all of Jamison's meets.  My dad is a reiner.  He loves to ride horse more than most of us can even comprehend, but he chose to put several shows on the shelf so he would not miss many races during Jamison's senior season.  Jamison has a very special bond with my dad because of how my dad has chosen to invest in him.  I am so, so thankful for that investment.

And Jamison is, too.  Yesterday as he was recounting the meet he said to me, "I need to call Grandpa."  I love that.

My parents inspire me.  We live in a society that is always "too busy."  We all love to do what we love to do.  Choosing to drop our own agenda to love someone is a thing of rare beauty.

Sooooo, I guess that is a wrap?!?
(If I had one wish for this season it would be to rewind and watch the state race again, only this time knowing the outcome!  I was SO relieved for the race to be over, for Jamison to have run well, etc. . . but all my nervousness caused me to miss much of the momentary joy. OHHHH, it is sometimes hard to be fully present in a moment.  If only life were a movie that we could rewind and relive the good parts and fast forward through the rough spots, right?)

I washed his CHS uniform one last time this morning.
(And yep, I cried.)
But as I prayed over that silly uniform, thanking God for the incredible high school career He enabled Jamison to have. . . for all the lessons learned, all the races - even the not so great ones, for the growth, the maturity, the coaches, the friendships, and the future; I felt so peaceful.  Moving forward is a gift.

And move forward we will!

We have two college visits scheduled this week!
I am so excited to see where the Lord leads our son next.