"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, February 6, 2016

Our 6 Kids in Ethiopia

In honor of our six children, Chad and I sponsor another six children in Ethiopia.

Child sponsorship matters.
I have not always been sure that this was true, but I have seen it first hand.  I have seen kids become healthier, stronger, and more educated because of sponsorship.  Even cooler, I have seen amazing relationships formed between sponsor and child.

I could give you many examples.  The child that carried a crumpled up letter in her hand, hoping I knew her treasured sponsor.  Kids digging through the very first gift they had ever been given more excited to see the photo of their sponsor than anything else in the package.  My very own sponsor children following me around Jemo cautiously and curiously.  Unsure, but longing to know me more.

Even more amazing is the way this relationship can change the sponsor.

I have begun setting an alarm on my phone which reminds me once a month to write to the precious ones we sponsor.  Writing to them once each month has been such a blessing to me.  It pulls me away from the sometimes STUPID and MEANINGLESS first world problems that I am stewing over, and it draws me to love.  

The drawback?  My heart aches to be with them.  

Aches.

Wakes me up at night wondering if they are OK.

Aches.

Interestingly, Chad feels it too.  A sense of urgency.  He has never, ever been as supportive of me taking a trip, than he is this one.  It is hard for him when I go away.  I handle all the "small stuff" and he works.  For him to handle the "small stuff" AND work is a lot.  But, he is just so happy I am going.  He has delighted in the things I have purchased for the kids.  He has told me many times, I am so happy you are going to see them.  I can not even explain how much his blessing means to me.

In two days, we embark!

In all reality I will only have about an hour of one on one time with each of these precious ones at Jemo. BUT - I WILL get to to go to each of their homes.  I will be able to pray with their parents, deliver gifts, look into their eyes and tell them they are loved.  I will be gifted a brief look into their life, and thus I will be much better equipped to pray for each of them.  

So, before I go, I would like to introduce you to my Ethiopian family.
 This is Ayalew.

He is almost exactly the same age as Joshua.  Though I met him three years ago, I have never met his family.  Ayalew is quiet.  He has deep, kind eyes - and a precious smile.
 This little lady is Dibora.

She is the only one of the children that we "hand-picked."  While Chad and Jamison were at Jemo last year, I asked them to be praying about our sixth child.  Chad sent me her photo.  He said she sat by his feet and curiously petted his leg hair.  Her sweetness and curiosity melted his heart.  She became "ours" before he left the country.  She is six years old, and when we see her next week she will receive the first hand-picked, just for her, gift of her life.
 This is Fikru.

He is our miracle boy.  Jamison chose him from the faces on the website - but when the guys traveled to Jemo they quickly realized that Chad had met and worked with his dad when we were there in 2013.  Working on the fence project at Jemo in 2013 is one of Chad's all time favorite construction projects.  It is such a gift to be forever tied to Fikru and his family through sponsorship.

Fikru is outgoing.  He is full of smiles and mischief.  He is a well loved six year old, and I can not wait to introduce myself to him.
 Serawit is the first child we chose to sponsor at Jemo.

She was chosen by Joshua.  When he saw her face on he website he insisted we sponsor her.  I have no idea why, but I am sure the Lord does.

I was able to meet her in 2013.  She was curious and quiet.  She has deep soulful eyes.

She completely stole Chad's heart when he was there last June.  She watches quietly.  She is eager to please - but not in your face, fighting for your attention.

She is nearly 15.  That makes my heart hurt.  She is nearing adulthood.  What will she do?  Where will she go?  Has she received enough education to obtain a descent job?  (She was quite old when she was finally able to begin school.)  Will this be the final time I see her?

I want to pour out my love for her on this trip.  I want her to know it is real.  That no matter if I never see her again, I will be praying for her the rest of my days.

I want her to know she is precious, worthy, and important.

How do I pour real love into a short visit AND language barrier?

But God it would be impossible.

I am praying and trusting and knowing that He will fill every gap.
This tiny treasure is Yididiya.

When my big, white men met her, she was terrified.

I have been praying and praying that the Lord would strengthen her and give her courage.  I have been praying that school would be fun and exciting, not scary.  I have been praying that our visit would encourage rather than traumatize this wee one.  Though she is five, she is barely larger than Mataya.  

This dear one is Biniam.  This photo is about 5 years old - but it is the only one of him I have scanned into my computer!

He is now 16.  He lives in the southern part of Ethiopia, and though we have sponsored him the longest, we have never visited him.  He is the true inspiration for this trip.  His question, "When will you come?"  caused me to answer NOW!

He calls himself quiet.  Says red is his favorite color and spaghetti is his favorite food.  He dreams of becoming a doctor, or so an old letter says.  That is one thing I plan to investigate.  Is that still his dream?  Is he capable of the schooling?  How can we help make that happen?

I am more excited to meet him than any other part of this trip.  That anticipation worries me a bit.  I do not want to put undue pressure on the visit.  I can not imagine what he must be thinking knowing that we are coming.  I hope he feels joy.  I hope when we leave, he feels encouraged and empowered.

It fills me with gratitude to have this second family in Ethiopia.

They are the reason I decided to take this trip.  I want them to know there really is an Alicia.  That I truly exist.  I deeply love them.  And I pray for them daily.

Traveling to see them face to face is a whole lot of hassle.  I have been joking that it takes a village OR one momma to run this household!  (LOL!)  It is costly.  Many wonder if the cost is worth the benefit.

My answer?

Relationships are costly,
BUT
they are very worth it.

My precious ones in Ethiopia, I am crossing the world to see you.  You are precious.  You are worthy.  You are loved.  I will see you soon!

**This post is filled with "I" statements.  Sierra and Brenna will be with me when we visit their siblings in Ethiopia.  They are very excited, too.  I am very excited to watch them connect with and love on their sponsor siblings.**

We will go to the homes of each of these children on the same day.  My heart and mind are overwhelmed just thinking about it.  Home visits are very emotional. Please be praying that God would allow me to ponder each moment and every detail in my heart.  That I would be fully present and fully engaged.  That He would be glorified in the time we spend with these precious ones and their families, and that our visit would be a blessing to each of our children.