"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, April 10, 2016

bekka

"Bekka" means stop it or enough in Amharic.  When things are way over the top we tend to use this word in our home.  And in all reality it is the best way I can describe the last few weeks.

Bekka.

Too busy.  Too noisy.  Too scheduled.  Too much rush.

Bekka.

I end this weekend more tired than I began it, and it is making me angry.  (How is that for honest!)

This rush will not end any time soon.  That is the reality of it, so I am just going to have to figure out how to handle it better.

So where I am very tempted to whine, I will instead choose to give thanks.  A lot of exciting things happened this past week.  I have much in which to be thankful.

Brenna turned 13!
We had a wonderful party with family, and I anticipate a fun night with her friends this week.
 Mataya is naughty and busy and into everything!
She is crazy smart.
She exhausts us all with her endless two-year-old testing, and at the same time she brings so very much laughter into our home.  
 Friday morning Mataya and I stayed home and played.  Sigh.  It was divine.

Watching her love her babies as she has been loved helps me know that even though she tests every single boundary we set she knows how to give and receive love.  She is definitely feisty.  Thankfully she loves with the same tenacity.
 Jamison was recognized as an honor student.
 I spent many, many hours with Mataya snuggled up on my lap reading, singing songs, and tickling.  I am so very thankful that it is my lap in which she receives comfort, even on the loudest, crankiest, most exhausting days.
Wyatt, our precious grandson, is the definition of sweetness.  He is nearly always happy.  He loves food more than I can even explain.  He also loves balls.  He plays like a champ.  I am so very thankful for his good nature.  

I am also thankful because he and Mataya are (finally) starting to play together just a bit.  Having them both has been one of the largest challenges of my parenting/child care/grandparenting "career."  Mataya did not handle his presence well.  And he was not accustomed to the structure that his Lala lives by.  It was a rough few months, but at long last, we are all doing just a bit better together!

I am also thankful that:

- I found a dress for the wedding.

-I was able to enjoy both a track meet and a music contest with Brenna this week.

-Chad finished the wagon for the wedding.

-Event planning is going well.  All major details for the wedding are proceeding on schedule.  We ordered Jamison's graduation announcements Saturday.  It is A LOT of planning, but it is going well.

-Our taxes will be filed on time.

-My mother-in-law will stay with Mataya and Wyatt one day this coming week so that I can get a huge report done at work and check it off my list.

-Sierra is plugging into church in this beautiful, inspiring courageous way.


You know what?!?  I feel better now.  Truly.  I really, really wanted to focus on all I had yet to do.  I wanted to focus on the crummy of temper tantrums, laundry piles, and pressure.  But that still small voice called me to greater things.

"Give thanks in all circumstances, for this is God's will for you." 
1 Thessalonians 5:18

Thankfully, I am being dragged down by rush.  Mundane rush.  Beautiful rush of exciting events.  Typical rush of work and family life.  There is nothing tragic going on in my home.  Even still, I have a choice to make: be grateful or be overwhelmed.  

I choose gratitude.

Deliberate gratitude.

And when I do, the rush is replaced by peace and focus.

He always has the best plan.

Always.

Be glorified, Lord Jesus, in this season of rush.  Be glorified.