"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, November 10, 2016

Welcome Baby Sophia

On November 9 at 1:40 pm, our first granddaughter entered the world.  Krissy and Devin named her Sophia Jean Marie.  She was 7 lbs 6 oz and 20.5 inches long.  As her daddy said, "She is perfect."  (Sophia was my great grandmother's name - my dad's, dad's mom.  Jean is both my mom's and Krissy's middle name.  And as far as I know, Marie is Sophia's and Sophia's alone.  I think her name is as precious as she is.)


Thank you, Jesus.


I am ridiculously thrilled to have a granddaughter.  You see, I was so blessed by the relationship I had with both of my grandmothers.  They were my safe place to land, who I want to be when I grow up, my most significant mentors, and my deepest sources of encouragement and reassurance.  They loved me, accepted me, and believed in me.  Each woman was very different from the other, however they had some significant things in common - they loved and served the Lord,  they loved and served their families, and they made me feel safe to an extent that no one else has ever made me feel safe.


It is my hope that I pour out all they poured in as I love my own precious granddaughter.


As I have confessed, grandmothering has not come easily to me.  It is and will remain clumsy because of the closeness in age between Mataya, Wyatt, and Sophia.  My home is still full and active and needy.  It is also fun and noisy and full joy, toys, and laughter.  I can not be the grandma I always envisioned myself being - but I can be the one God has designed me to be. He has placed each of these tiny ones in my family, and I am so humbly grateful.


So humbly grateful.


Completely overwhelmed and overjoyed.


Anyway - enough typing.  Here she is!!!!





 Chad was is working out of town - but he drove home to meet this little peanut, only to drive back to the jobsite an hour later.  I am thankful he chooses to love us so well!
 I can not express how thrilled and proud Mataya was to meet and hold her tiny niece.  She was amazed at every tiny feature.  When we left she told me, "I love baby Sophia SO MUCH.  She is beautiful.  She is my favorite baby ever!  I have to hold her again.  She will miss me.  She will cry for me!" and then she proceeded to demonstrate just how Sophia would be crying.



 Newborns are Brenna's favorite.
 I am certain Joshua will be an amazing father one day.  He is so tender and gentle with tiny ones.  His ability to nurture always amazes me.  He proudly brought a picture of his new niece to school and delighted in showing her off all day long.


 How beautiful does Krissy look just half a day after her second child was born?
She amazes me in so many ways.





I do not have any pictures of Sierra with baby Sophia  - but they are sure to have a very special relationship.  Krissy and Devin allowed Sierra to be present when Sophia was born!  She had the privilege of watching her take her first breath and heard her very first cry.


Life is such a gift.  It is such a miracle.  The freshness of a brand new baby always fills my heart with awe and gratitude.


Oh darling baby Sophia, I am so thrilled that God sent you to us.  You are a treasured gift.  I am so excited to know all about you.  Lala loves you, Sophia Jean Marie, so very much.  Always and forever.  No matter what.