"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, March 7, 2017

Panama - Final Thoughts and Pics

One thing that I always try to do when visiting a new place is see the countryside.  I am not a city girl.  Shopping is not my thing.  Nor are crowds.  I love to see landscape and nature.

On this trip there were not a lot of options when it came to seeing the countryside because many regular tours and attractions were closed for Carnival.  So, we opted for a tour of an "authentic" visit to an indigenous village.  Because we have seen people groups that have not been exposed to many outsiders and ARE living as they have lived for many generations, we were a bit skeptical as to the "authenticness" of this tour - however, it was still fun to see the rain forest and catch a museum style glimpse at how the Panamanian people once lived.

It was beautiful and hot.  My perfect combination.
 They took us on this canoe down and around the river for about 30 minutes.

We saw bits of the rain forest and a couple of monkeys!




 The monkeys that we saw definitely knew that there would be treats on the boat.  They came swinging through the trees when they heard the boat motor.  They swung close enough to grab a banana from the hand of a person on board.

 I wish Mataya could have been with us.  She adores the spider monkeys at our zoo!



 The village was at the end of a small channel of water.  It is inaccessible except through this channel.  It was beautiful.






The Chief enjoyed photos.

 I honestly do not know if the people live here all the time or not.  They claim to. . .  They were all very accustomed to the show.  Tourists come and go daily.  The tribe is actually planning to make a couple of huts that they will allow people to stay in live a low tech hotel.  The people dressed like they would have years ago.  They cooked the same way.  But they did educate their children and they used cell phones.  They explained that they used technology when it suited, but that they wanted to also preserve their culture as much as possible.  

While I am not sure the whole truth - I did enjoy my time in the more natural setting and learning about their culture.
 They fed us fried fish and plantains.  It was delicious.
 This bird - was lovely - and scary!  It got way too close for my comfort, begging for food.

YUCK!

I only like birds in trees!
Before
heading back to the hotel, I received an "island tattoo."

 And Chad got to dance with an island girl (except that Panama is actually an isthmus).
Whether or not it was 100% authentic, the tour was interesting.  The air was fresh and pure.  The view was amazing.

We spent our final day chilling at the beach and pool at the hotel.  

All too soon we were headed back to America.
 I joked with Chad that if it were not for the kids, I was not sure I would have left.

But I sure missed those faces, hugs, and stories!

On the way home - which was looooong - 20 hours of travel time between buses, planes, and layovers - we had one fun surprise.  On our middle flight we were bumped to first class!  That has NEVER happened to us before.  It was so nice to lay down and rest in the middle of a long day of travel chaos.

OK - so here is my final thought.  And really my only important thought in regards to this trip.  

Are you ready?!?

MAKE IT A POINT TO GO AWAY WITH YOUR SPOUSE.
ALONE!


ALONE!


ALONE!!!!!!!

It had been years (2 to be exact) since Chad and I had spent more than 24 hours alone.  To be totally honest, I did not realize how friendly and business like our relationship had become.  Chad and I are partners in life and in business.  We work well together.  I spend ALL of my time focused on our family.  I have chosen that as my career.  Chad knows me better than any other person in the universe knows me.  He can tell by the way I am holding my shoulders how my morning has gone.  He understands me and respects me and listens to me.  We are very connected.

And yet we were not.

I spend all my time taking care of Chad - BUT really taking care of his heart is different than making sure he has clean laundry, a hot supper, enough sleep, and his office is organized.  We had been meeting each other's needs flawlessly but it was all busy and business.  It was all rush and routine.

And that is the reality of marriage and family and business.

BUT after spending a few days getting enough sleep and not rushing to get kids ready or meals ready or bills mailed, we were able to really connect.  To talk long.  To dream.  To silently connect.  Seriously, there is NEVER silence at home.

It was healing in places and in ways that I was not aware healing was needed.

Listen. I know leaving is nearly impossible.  It is so, so, so hard on so many levels.  

Do it anyway.

We were lucky and had a free trip to a great resort in a warm location - but we could have connected just as easily in a tent at a cheap campground.  The location is not important.  The connection is.

So be creative.

Be bold.

Ask for help.

But do it - go!

And if things are not dreamy right away, do not give up.  The first couple days away we struggled.  Relaxing is hard when you are not used to it.  Connecting is a lot of pressure when you are accustomed to busy and chaos.  I actually walked on the beach alone one day, praying for the Lord to help us truly connect, wondering if it would happen - knowing that Chad and I were totally committed, while longing for connection and intimacy that is not possible in our day to day reality.  Although we both desired connection, we did not walk off the plane relaxed and ready.  It took time and grace and rest and maybe even a glass of wine, but we returned so very refreshed heart and soul.  We returned connected in a sweet and special way.  And that connection was not left behind in Panama.

Thank you God, Chief Buildings, mom, dad, and Angie for helping Chad and I recoop and refresh and reconnect.  It was a very valuable and much appreciated time away.