"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, September 14, 2017

Adored

Summer was too full of life to blog.  Our home was a constant blur of activity.  We had many guests, a constant stream of teenagers in and out of the house, and went back and forth to the lake constantly.  I don't usually do chaos well, but this summer God stilled my heart in many ways, and I LOVED every minute.

In the midst of all the coming and going, Mataya blossomed.  She and I have always had a very special relationship. We are very close, and we delight in being together all the time.  Having so many people around this summer did not sever that tie, but it did expand her universe.  She spent tons of time with her older sisters, Jamison, and Jay's girlfriend, Ida.  And their love, acceptance, and inclusion watered her very soul.  She became bolder and more loving all at the same time.

There are moments that I see Mataya snuggled up with Ida reading a book.  Or jumping on the trampoline with Joshua.  Or doing "homework" with Sierra.  Or playing frisbee golf with Jamison.  Or singing with Brenna, and my heart feels fractured.  I worry about how much she loves and admires each of them because someday - long before she is grown - they will be off in the world, working and raising families of their own.  Will she feel forgotten?  Will she feel alone?  And then I remind myself that LOVE is never a bad thing.  You can not love too much or too many people.  So, I rejoice in her weird childhood.  I rejoice that she is growing up cherished and adored by so many big people.  I rejoice that she is surrounded by really awesome mentors.  Each one is unique and has something totally different to offer her.  What a lucky little one she is!

In addition to loved and adored, Mataya is very tactile.  She loves to try and experience things.  She is physical and competitive in a way none of our other preschoolers have been.  She is ALL IN.  When she succeeds she succeeds BIG, and when she fails, she makes a big splash.  She is the sweetest, most loving little one I have ever parented.  She expresses love, along with every other emotion, with an elaborate vocabulary.  She likes to pretend, read books, draw, sculpt, paint, build, and play games.  She is all energy and enthusiasm.  She asks me to tell stories whenever we drive anywhere.  She is increasingly well mannered, the fits of her toddlerhood are disappearing.  She is determined and strong-willed, yet she has a unique and genuine sweetness that makes her delightful to be near.


In what may forever go down as my most shocking momma moment, Mataya came out of her bedroom one morning looking like this.  While the rest of us thought she was asleep, she gave herself the haircut to end all haircuts.  I have NEVER seen anything like it.  But, that is Mataya - all in.

So we brought her to Krissy, who had no other option than to shave her head.  Mataya literally cut her hair all the way to the scalp in several areas.  I do not know how she did not cut her skin, although I am VERY thankful that all that was damaged was her hair.





One month later, Mataya says she will not try this again.

I'm hoping so!

Following are some snapshots taken on much more lighthearted occasions!





Mataya LOVES dogs.  Everywhere we go she asks to pet every dog she sees.

She also loves to draw.  She draws on anything we allow her to draw on, including the cabin walls!

Mataya finds beauty everywhere.  She is constantly picking flowers, rocks, and leaves to save.  She notices every sunset, interesting cloud pattern, and the stars.  She watches for wildlife when we drive.  The way she sees the world inspires me.

She almost always has a baby with her.  The one in this photo is Molly, her current favorite.

Her newest passion is riding bike.  She rides fast and hard for the entire .75mile loop around our neighborhood.  She is happiest when she's riding fast enough that I have to jog.

When Sierra does homework, Mataya joins her with work of her own.

 Ida is quite possibly Mataya's favorite person in the universe.  In a scary situation, I might come in first - but any other time, Ida is her top pick.  She told me the other day, "Mom, I love you!  BUT I realllllly love Ida!!!!"  I feel very thankful that she and Ida are so close.  They are precious together.  Jamison has chosen well, we all adore Ida.  
Mataya is becoming a much better Auntie!  She delights in Sophia.


 Brenna and Mataya watching the sunset and counting the stars.

Precious Mataya Hope, 

You will not remember much about the summer of 2017.  But I firmly believe that the love and adventure, the moments laughter and play, the snuggles and tickles are somehow, someway embedded into your soul.  You are adored, sweet girl, by all who know you.  May the love that surrounds you fill,and fuel you so that you can pour out love on all those you meet.  You make my world fuller, richer, more vibrant, and oh-so-much more joyful.  I cherish the gift you are.

Love always, 
Momma