"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, September 25, 2017

13.1 (FINALLY) Done!

I started running when Sierra was a baby.  Prior to her arrival, I walked.  BUT with three little people under four, I needed to workout fast and cheap.  The only cost to running is shoes, and it burns calories more quickly than walking.  I did not really like running.  I was not really good at it.  I was simply practical.  I wanted to be healthy and fit the simplest way possible, and running seemed to fit the bill.

As I committed to running, I began to enjoy what it did to my spirit.  When I run, my mind rests.  Particularly when I am very stresses, running is where my defenses lower enough that I hear God.

The very first goal I set when running was inspired by President George W. Bush.  I was maybe 25 years ols and a very new runner.  I had never thought of speed, I was just proud of myself for moving my body in a forward motion.  Then one night I heard on a news report that President Bush was a runner, and he ran for at least thirty minutes every day, covering three miles.  I remember thinking, "If that old guy can run three 10 minute miles, I bet I could, too."  (Some people are inspired by famous athletes.  Me?  I'm inspired by old men.  That may say something about my running abilities!  Ha!)

Over the years, I have set goals off and on.  Usually the goals have had more to do with minutes spent running or frequency of my runs than miles, although I had always, always hoped to someday run a half marathon.

Someday was the key word!

13.1 was a daunting destination to me.  It would take bravery, and determination to run the mileage necessary to complete a half marathon.  Life handed me plenty of excuses. . . and I hid behind them!  One year I had run most of mileage and chosen a race, but then Jamison became serious about running - so I went to his race instead of my own.

Very early this spring, a friend asked me if I would run a half marathon with her in September.  I debated for a few days.  Life had plenty of really good excuses.  We were building the cabin and the summer would be very busy. It would be tough to put energy and time into running along with all the building. The kids would be racing in the fall.  I hate to miss their races.  My list could legitimately continue, but in all reality at the base of my excuses was fear.

Committing to a race - running in PUBLIC - was scary.  13.1 was daunting.  Asking my family to help me in various ways so that I would have the time to train didn't sit well with me.  I like to be the helper, not need the help.

Yet, I could not deny my desire to do it.  Plus, I had never had a friend who would hold me accountable and support me as I followed through on this goal.  So I gulped down fear and excuses and decided to commit.

Training was hard.  Thrilling.  Boring.  Freeing.  Time consuming.  Satisfying.  Exhausting.  And fun!

At one point, I was sure I could not do it.  My first ten mile long run was a total bust.  It was hot, very hot.  I overheated.  It scared me.  Then we had company for a few weeks straight and training was definitely not falling into place.  I nearly gave up.

Nearly.

But, I kept trudging through.  Runs 9 miles and under became almost fun.  I kept getting stronger and faster bit by bit.  Over 10 mile runs remained hard, very hard - but possible.

I'm sure I drove Jamison crazy with inexperienced questions and observations.  I know Chad was tired of scheduling our weekends around my long runs.  I am certain that Sierra and Brenna would have preferred me to be home many mornings so that Mataya would awaken me instead of them.  However, they never complained. None of them.

And this weekend - thanks to Rebekah's challenge and the help of my family - I finally completed 13.1!




Many people have asked me if it was fun.

It was NOT fun!

It was hard.  The only thing I can compare it to is labor.  Not the physical part.  The mental part.  As I was having each of my babies there was point in which my brain said, "I am done.  I am not doing this.  I need this pain to stop now!"  Choosing pain is not fun.  Relaxing into the pain and trusting your body is not natural.

But the reward can be pretty cool.

So, no my race was not fun.  But I am so glad I did it.  I am proud of myself.  I survived and persevered.  My goal was to keep all my miles under 10 minute pace.  I finished in 2:03:25 (under 9:30 pace)  Not fast, by any measure - but as fast as I am currently capable.  

Will I do it again?  I'm not sure.  Maybe.  Probably.  I would like to run 13.1 in less than two hours before I retire from the racing scene (insert laughter) - but today my sore quads and gluts will settle for a simple walk!

Thanks for being my race mentor inspiration and mentor, Rebekah!

Thanks for being mom for a day so I could check this crazy goal off my bucket list, Sierra!

I am so thankful it was possible, God.  I do not take for granted the ability to run, ever. 

PS 

Soooo - here is my rookie racer confession:  I finished the race thinking, "I want water!"  There were 8-10 people standing between myself and the water station.  All were handing out race medals.  Me, being me, I took one from the littlest kid and quickly headed for water.  Upon returning to our hotel, I discovered that the cute little guy gave me a medal for finishing the 10K walk/run rather than the half marathon.  I did not have the time or the desire to chase after a new medal - but after getting home, Jamison talked me into emailing the race director.  Jay convinced me that I needed the medal to commemorate a goal achieved, and the race director was kind enough to mail it to me.

After I received the corrected medal, Joshua claimed my "fake" one.  He wore the 10K walk/jog medal to school and convinced his friends that he had completed the race.  Little do they all know that Joshua HATES distance running!  

Final thought - next time I choose a race, I will pick one with a cooler name.  Wild Hog?!?  Stick a fork in me, I'm done?????!!!!!!!!  Toooooooo funny!