"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, January 29, 2018

Cabin Update - Kitchen and Master Bedroom Nearing Completion

Chad and I had such a fun weekend at the lake.  We are working on final details.  I love that part of construction!  Seeing things come together is so rewarding. 

Chad and I design well together.  (Or at least we think we do!)  We bounce ideas back and forth, each adding vision, creating a final product that reflects us both perfectly.  It is just SO fun.

The lake house has been a unique project because we are designing on a dime.  We have worked hard to cut every cost we can, while still retaining the look and longevity we desire.  Upcycling is our jam on this one, and it has been so much fun.

 When we began our construction business, we primarily did work on preengineered metal buildings.  Though we have expanded and do a TON of remodel work, both commercial and residential; I have always wanted to use metal in some detail on a personal project because it represents so much to me.  The first time I saw the high slope of the ceiling in our master bedroom, I could totally picture it as metal.  When I asked Chad, he gave me a bit of a weird look, but confessed that he did have some metal panels they had not been able to use on a job. . .  but, was I sure?!?

I was SO sure.  And He allowed me to dream.

Thankfully, we both love the result!  It is just SO fun!


After we got the ceiling up, we needed to scrape the floor and start the flooring installation.

We are using a vinyl planking that has a weathered wood finish.  It is affordable and should be durable.  A nice look on the cheap!

 Chad fabricated barnwood beams to connect the wood look on the floor to the ceiling.

(Another one of my crazy ideas, he made happen.  I just LOVE it!)

We combined it all with crisp white trim and a sleek, modern door knob.  Quirky, yep!  However, I adore it.

(Plus, the wall paint, trim paint, metal ceiling, and base boards were all leftover from jobs!)


Chad also added a barnwood sill to the windows.  (This detail was all his idea!) How gorgeous is that - view and all!

 In the kitchen, we added hardware to the cabinets and trim to the windows.  Minor details that make a HUGE impact.  (Someday a dishwasher will go in the space the stool now sits.)


(In case you want some free construction advice...  If you do not want to spend a ton of money on cabinets, go with white.  Though cheap white cabinets will not wear any better than cheap wood ones, it is harder to tell the quality difference visually.  Is there a difference? Oh yes!  We have had custom build cabinets in our last two homes and these cheaper box cabinets are not in the same category.  However, high-end is not an option on every project.  These inexpensive cabinets look high-end because of the creative installation and detailing Chad and the guys came up with.  Visually, a white cabinet is a white cabinet - where a cheap wood look can be quite pronounced, even with superior installation.)



Our breakfast nook.

Some day we have a built-in banquet planned for this space.  Key word - some day!
 Detail of the barnwood trim.

Now do not be fooled - except for the kitchen (which still needs flooring), the master bedroom (which still needs electrical), and the main level bathroom (which still needs paint on the trim) - the cabin is a mess!  Chad has at least a month worth of sheetrock taping, then comes texturing and painting, followed by ceiling and flooring installation, doors to hand, trim to install, along with a million other small details. . .  We are definitely not done - BUT, we are having fun.  After the stress that I felt building our current home, I did not think I could ever enjoy construction on a personal level again.  This project is proving me wrong.

This project is a gift.  It is such hard work.  Yet, we have learned so much!  The place and the space is a dream come true, so I refuse to hate the process.

And that man I married, who trusts my vision and makes my crazy ideas come to life, he is making me fall in love with him over and over again.  He amazes me, inspires me, and delights me daily.