"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, July 7, 2013

A Day at the Lake

We crammed A LOT of stuff into the last four days.  Too much for one post.  So I am left with a dilemma, write about the fun first or the work?

Chad and I are both first born children.  Which means in our home work almost always comes first.  Work does not necessarily mean our jobs, and we try to put relationships above work - but FUN is at the  bottom of both of our lists.  That does not mean we don't like to have fun.  It just means that when we have to choose between a "frivolous/fun" activity or purchase and a "sensible/useful" one we always gravitate toward "sensible."

Most of our weekend was sensible.  Most of the weekend we worked on the yard. 

But not today.

Today, we went to the lake. 

Ahhh.  I love to be near the water.  It is most certainly where I feel happiest, calmest, and most carefree.

Our boat is by far our most frivolous possession.  It may also be our smartest.

On the boat, Chad and I play.  We laugh.  We get rowdy.  We totally relax in a fun and exhilarating way that our kids never see off the water.

It is so very good.

 
On the boat, we encourage the kids to be silly and daring.
 Trying brave new things is expected.
 (Notice Jamison in the water with his little sis.  He is our master wakeboarder.  When Sierra wanted to learn today, he jumped in the lake to coach her.)
 Falling is not failing at the lake.
Trying is what matters, not perfection.
 Even momma plays at the lake. . . once in a while, that is!
Funny thing is that although I love to be on the water, I do not love to be in the water.  Getting wet is not my favorite.  So when momma sets down the camera and swims, it is a BIG deal!
 
Beauty at the last is pure, calm, and crisp.
The water was perfect today.
Jamison skidding across the water, with his reflection clearly following him, makes my heart sigh.
 (Can't you just imagine Joshua envisioning himself being as big and strong as his brother in this shot?  He wisely adores his big bro.)

 Craziness and laughter are expected at the lake.
As is fun for every age child - at the same time.
 Teamwork and competition collide when you tube side by side at the lake.
The Dietrich rule is the first one to fall off has to rotate back into the boat and give a waiting tuber a turn.
 Some win and some lose - but all laugh and have fun!

 Some danger is embraced -
with complete parental approval!
 This was perhaps my favorite moment of the day.
Joshua insisted on trying the lay down tube.
The lay down tube is NOT as safe and secure as the sit down tube.
I was worried.. .
until I saw Jay and Krissy form a pyramid of protection around their smallest sibling.
 
Then I knew they had his back.
No matter what.
 Eventually they hit a wave hard and fell off. 
 
I gasped, feeling scared for Joshua.
What if he hit too hard or was scared when he went under water.
 
I had no reason to be afraid.
Even before Jay surfaced, he had Joshua up and out of the water.
He grabbed Gubs under the armpits and hoisted him firmly above the wake before my little guy could feel any fear.  In fact by the time we circled back to them with the boat, they were all laughing.
 
They way my kids take care of each other never ceases to amaze me.
I am so thankful they have each other.
I am so proud of the way they love.
 
Surprise rules at the lake.
Switching tubes with no warning. . .

 
is just too funny to resist.
 
Joy and celebration are commonplace at the lake. . .
 
I wish all the world was like the lake.
 Chad totally enjoys dragging these crazies around the lake.
 
It is fun to watch him relax with our kids.  When we first got to the lake, he confessed to feeling lazy - like he should be getting some work done instead of playing.  Slowly, the "lake Chad" returned.  His shoulders relaxed, he laughed more, he played tricks on the kids, and his "horsepower grin" resurfaced.  I have missed "lake Chad."
We stayed later than we had intended.
 
By the time we packed up, we were all tired.
 
The happy kind of tired.
 
The best kind of tired there is.

Lake Tired.