"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, July 16, 2013

Lessons Learned While Walking My Dog

Our family has a dog.  He is a 5 year old golden retriever.   He and I have an interesting relationship.  He loves me and everyone else he has ever met, and I tolerate him.  I know most of you are dog lovers.  I am not.  I try. . . sort of - but I am merely a dog owner rather than a dog lover.

This spring I realized that I had to work on my relationship with our dog.  (Feel free to laugh here!)

He was totally driving me bonkers!  Whenever I opened the garage door, he ran off.  He would look at me and "laugh" as I called him back home.  Then he would take off.  At one point I was hoping he would disappear and never return.

Because I love my kids and my kids love our dog, I decided to dedicate some time to our relationship. (Again - feel free to laugh.)

So. . . I started making sure I took him for a walk or run every day.  Every. Single.  Day.  Yes - I know, all loving dog owners walk their dogs.  Remember - I am not a dog lover.  This is a BIG deal for me. 

Walking Riley is NOT peaceful.

 
 
Riley pulls like a freight train, dragging me around like a rag doll.
 
He stops frequently to take bathroom breaks. Gross!
 
He never passes by a puddle without diving into it -
 
and then he shakes the muddy water all over his owner.
 
He also tries to run off and chase every bird or dog he sees.
 
Until he gets tired.
 
Once he is tired, I get the honor of dragging him along.
 
UGH!
 
He drives me completely crazy!  First he drags me and then I drag him.  Pacing a workout is completely impossible. 
 
 
About a month into this dog walking nightmare, God started whispering to me.  He was saying, "You are a lot like that dog."
 
"What?  I am certainly NOT like this annoying animal!" I grumbled back.
 
But then I started thinking. . . maybe I am.
 
I tend to run ahead of God, trying to pull him along on my plans - rather than allowing Him to lead me.
 
Just as Riley dives for puddles, I sometimes take breaks and follow foolish pursuits. 
 
I tend to get distracted and chase my own "birds" rather than following the path He has for me.
 
And then when I am totally, completely exhausted - I ask Him why?  Why is my life so busy?  How could He ask for me to finish the task He has before me when I am so tired?
 
I love that God has a lesson in even the most annoying tasks!  I have thought much about this lesson.  Each day as I walk the dog, I think about how I can better walk with God.
 
 I appreciate that He always walks beside me.  I am sure there are days He feels way more frustrated with me than I do with my dog!
 
I pray about allowing Him to take the lead.
Asking Him to keep me focused.
Trusting His pace guide me.
 
Each day, Riley becomes a bit more bearable to walk.  He is pulling much less. More often than not there is slack in the leash.  He is becoming less distractable, except in regards to puddles - they are still irresistible! But when I open the garage door, he no longer runs off.  Instead, he waits for me to take him exploring!
 
Little by little, he is learning to obey.
He is learning to trust me.
 
Even crazier, I am beginning to like him.
 
I guess this parallels my relationship with God as well.
The more time I spend with Him, the more I love, trust, obey - and ADORE Him.
 
 
In no way do I mean to over simplify or disrespect the holiness of my relationship with the Lord by comparing it to dog walking!  I surely appreciate that even in the mundane and annoying chores, He is guiding me and teaching me.
 
He is so good.