"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, July 10, 2013

She is 17.

Yesterday Krissy turned 17.

Having her turn 17 was incredibly nostalgic to me.  For one thing it is her last birthday as a kid.

Crazy!  In 12 months, Chad and I will have a child who is a legal adult!  Sometimes I don't even feel grown-up yet!

In the next 12 months she will encounter so many milestones - senior pictures, college applications, college acceptance, all the stuff that will make up her senior year of high school, graduation. . .  It almost feels as though there will be as many milestones in this last 12 months of childhood as there were in her first 12 months - except that in the first 12 months my job was to pray,  hover,  and protect.  NOW my job is to pray, support, guide, and release.

Krissy turning 17 was also nostalgic to me because 17 was a great year for me personally.  While I know she is not me, and I do not expect her to be me - I can't help but reminisce about my 17th year watching her live hers.  For me, the highlight of being 17 was falling in love with her dad.  (Nope, I do NOT expect that falling in love with her future husband will be the highlight of this year for her.  But as Chad and I approach our 19th wedding anniversary, it is really sweet to think about our first dates!)

I am SO excited to witness Krissy's 17th year.  I am so curious about some of the choices she will make!  Where will she choose to go to college?  Will she go to the Prom again? (She says no!)  What events will she enjoy?  What new things will she experience?

Krissy hates a fuss, so I have vowed to keep this year simple!

As proof of this simplicity, I only asked for 2 photos yesterday.  One with her birthday pies (she does not like cake) and one with me.  Krissy hates photos almost as much as she hates being called her legal name.  Two years ago, Chad agreed to let her get her nose pierced IF she promised to allow me to take some pictures of her once in a while.  I rarely collect on that promise, but yesterday I did.

She may or may not hate this photo - but to me it is a treasure.
 
 
Krissy, you have so much ahead of you.  I pray the road will be easy.  I pray you will make wise choices.  I pray you are surrounded by beautiful friendships.  I know some days will be hard - harder than you are ready for just yet.  I hate knowing that.  However, I know you will be OK.  You are so very smart.  You are so very determined.  You are so incredibly hard working.  You are so very faithful.  You are so capable.  I have been watching you strengthen your wings for years now.  Sometimes they are stronger than I wish my independent daughter.  And other times I cling too tight and refuse to allow you to fly.  I am sorry for those times.  I am sorry for the times I give orders or make assumptions instead of listening.  As you know, I am learning right along with you.  I am so incredible proud of you.  You are fierce and brave.  You are also compassionate and committed.  God will use you mightily if you allow Him to.  And I will have the honor of watching from as close as you will allow.  I promise not to bring my camera.  I love you beautiful girl.  I am so, so, so thankful that God chose me to be your mom.  You are an incredible gift.
 
Love,
Mom