"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, September 26, 2013

Pregnancy. . . Family Style

Expecting baby number six, nearly 18 years after having baby number one, is a pregnancy experience like none other.  This baby is being raised "family style" from the very beginning.

For example:

  • When we were expecting Krissy, our first baby, the first thing I purchased was a crib.  Next came a swing.  I wanted to make sure she had many snugly places to rest.  For baby number six, my first priorities include the perfect baby carrier, a car seat, and a stroller that can go anywhere!  This baby is going need to be a mover from the very beginning!
  • While waiting for our first babies, I read every book and magazine about pregnancy I could find. Now, there is an AP for that!  I actually have an AP on my iPhone that gives me info about pregnancy and the baby's development each day.  Once a week I get a text.  This week's said, "Congratulations! Your baby is now 15 weeks old.  He now measures roughly 4 inches, crown to rump, and weighs approximately 2 1/2 ounces (about the size of an apple).  He or she is busy moving amniotic fluid through the nose and upper respiratory tract, which helps the primitive air sacs in the lungs begin to develop. Your baby's legs are growing longer than his or her arms now, and he or she can move all those tiny joints and limbs.  Although your baby's eyelids are still fused shut, he or she can sense light. If you shine a flashlight at your tummy, for instance, your baby is likely to move away from the beam. There is not much for your baby to taste at this point, but taste buds are forming."
  • I was incredibly impatient to meet our first baby.  I just knew she would be born at 37 weeks, because there was NO way I could wait another minute to meet her, hold her, and begin being a mommy.  Now, while I am very excited to have an infant again - I am totallt looking forward to breastfeeding, especially 2 am feedings, one last time - I am also wise enough to savor the pregnancy.  This is in many ways the easiest phase of parenting.  My little one gets to be with me always, yet never interrupts anything or slows anything down!  The mystery of pregnancy is something I am basking in rather than rushing through, and it feels great!
  • Naming our first babies was a highly confidential affair.  Chad and I chose the names carefully and shared them with NO ONE until the baby arrived.  Fast forward 17 years and you now find a list of baby names posted on the refrigerator.  As we think of names we like we each write them on the girl or boy list - but they more than likely will not stay up for long.  If anyone else objects to the name, it will soon be crossed off the list.  So far there are NO baby girl names we all agree on.  Or if we all like the same name, we disagree on the spelling!  Last night we decided this baby may be named "Six!" Our hope is that there are several names that all the kids approve of before I go into labor!  Then Chad and I can choose from those names and have a bit of a surprise for the kids at the end.  But time will tell. . .
  • In past pregnancies, I decided whether or not we learned the baby's gender before it was born.  Chad has always been neutral on that one, so it was all up to me.  We have done it both ways.  This time I really DO NOT want to know!  I am tired of everyone knowing everything.  I just want to relax, savor this pregnancy, and receive a beautiful surprise at the end. Perfectly decorated nurseries can wait and Chad and the kids are more than capable of choosing outfits for baby while I am in the hospital, right?  WRONG, or so I am told by my girls!  They are totally convinced that we HAVE to know.  "No baby girl can come home to a navy blue nursery (the current color of the room that will become baby's) - even if she will be sleeping in mom and dad's room for months" - the sisters argue. "They have plans to make!  They are too excited!  They have a right to know!" our girls say.  I suspect the discussion will continue for the next 7 weeks since my doctor wants to wait until I am 22 weeks for the ultrasound, but in the end I am quite sure it is an argument I have lost! (For all of you that love to predict gender - baby's heartbeat was 159 this week.  I have not gained any weight yet, but my belly is certainly apparent and I would say I am carrying lower rather than higher.  The Chinese chart predicts boy.  Isn't that enough to go on for now?)
In the end, I am loving all of this crazy.  Some may claim we let our older kids have more say than they deserve - but I think when we listen to our kids they tend to listen to us as well.  I truly value their thoughts and opinions. . . most of the time, anyway! Also, I want them to be included and involved.  At the ages they are at being included in some of the bigger decisions only makes sense.

One thing that has not changed is the delight I feel in each stage of pregnancy.  I am absolutely loving this time.  Baby flutters, extra sleep, watching my feet begin to disappear - it is all good!  Carrying a child under my heart has always been so totally, perfectly amazing to me.  Having a chance to do it one more time is a really special blessing.

And witnessing Joshua bond to this baby is absolutely beyond precious.  He is so amazed with my growing belly.  He hugs it and strokes it so very carefully.  He kisses it good night almost every day.  This week he found out that the baby can hear him talking.  He was so excited to realize that when he or she is born the baby will know his voice and feel safer with him than all the other kids in his class. Today when I dropped him off at school, he gave me a big good-bye kiss.  He then gave my middle the most careful of hugs and told the baby, "I love you baby. Have a great day with mommy!"

While I absolutely long for the day when God-willing we bring home a brown-skinned brother close to Joshua's age, I am beyond thankful that, just this one time, Joshua will experience first hand the joy of welcoming a baby into a family from the very moment of conception.  It is a gift that none of us take for granted.