"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, December 8, 2013

He Confirms His Plan

You know how when you have heard/read the same story time and again, you kind of forget the meaning. . .  You kind of skip parts, gloss over details because you think you know them anyway. . .  You kind of numb to it. . .

I realized today that is how I have approached the Christmas story the last few years.

It is funny really.

I LOVE the story of the nativity.

I have many, many nativity scenes that I carefully display in our home during Advent.

I love to recall the story with my kids as we set them up.

I love to gaze at them, or perhaps glimpse at them as I rush by, and wonder. . . what was it like.

What was it like to carry Jesus under your heart?  To labor and deliver Him?  To rock Him, nurse Him, care for His tiny infant body?  In abject poverty - He was born in a barn.  To a teen-age mom.  A first time mom at that.

It is all totally unfathomable really. . .

As is the idea that although I KNOW the story, it is rare that I truly marvel in it.

Today though, as I had the opportunity to retell a portion of the Christmas story to a group of rowdy kids, God spoke to MY heart.  He reminded me of something beautiful.  Something eternal.  Something I really needed to hear and focus on right now.

(Sigh.  I DO adore Him.  He blesses me in the most amazing ways at the most unexpected times.)

He reminded me, today, that He confirms His "crazy" plans over and over and over.

He sent an angel to tell an old priest that his elderly barren wife would have a baby.

Crazy?

Yep, until she was pregnant.

Then He sent an angel to tell a virgin, teenage girl , aka Mary, that she would become pregnant via the Holy Spirit and give birth to God's son.  (Can you even imagine? That is LOCO!)  The angel also told her that her cousin - the old barren one, was expecting a baby.

Before ANY of this could possibly be confirmed to Mary, she said "I am the Lord's servant.  May it be as you have said."  (Oh!  MY!  So so so so much I could learn from THAT response.)

Then she went to see her cousin.

And found her 6 mo. pregnant.

Her cousin knew immediately that Mary was expecting as well.  She also knew that the baby was the Savior.  AND she knew that Mary was not cursed, even in this crazy unexpected role.  She was blessed.  Her words to Mary were, "Blessed is she who has believed that what the Lord has said to her will be accomplished." (Again. So so so so so much I could learn from that.)

Can you even imagine how that set Mary's mind at ease?  Can you imagine how scared this young girl was?  She was brave and faithful, but that did not mean she was not also terrified.

These examples of God confirming His plan continue through the story of the nativity.  He does this with Joseph, the Wise Men, the Shepherds, etc. . .

This reminder that God confirms His plans has made my soul sigh today.

I wonder sometimes if I am hearing Him.  Could I be right?  Why won't He speak?  Really God, wait longer?  Maybe I am missing something. . . not paying attention. . .

Being reminded that He will confirm His plan is so very good.

However - though He did confirm His plan to Mary.  He gave her an amazing gift of reassurance.  He gave her a human ally at a crucial time in her life.  In time, He worked out ALL the details.

BUT - in the moment, she followed blindly.

When He told her what He wanted, she did not say, "no."  She did not say, "are you sure?"  She did not say, "Do I have to?"  She said, "I am the Lord's servant.  May it be to me as you have said."

What would my life look like if that were TRULY my prayer?