"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, July 16, 2014

Perfect Summer Mornings

I have long been a morning person.

This did not come naturally.  As a teenager, I slept until noon every chance I got.  When Chad and I first married, I would beg him to sleep in on the weekends.  He rarely made it past nine.

As we began having children, I learned that if I got up very early, I could have a bit of time to myself - and thus my love of the early morning hours began.

Even when I was working full time, early mornings were important.  If I got up in time to have some quiet time before the Lord, everything went better.  It was HARD to peel myself out of bed at 5 am, but it was so very worth it.  Calm before the storm is a beautiful thing.  And mornings were certainly stormy!  Getting 7 people up, fed, and out the door by 7:15 am was pure craziness.

That is why this summer is so divine.

For the first time is many, many years mornings are not rushed.

Sure, I get up bright and early - but there is no rushing.

Only quiet.

My Bible and devotion book.

Coffee.

Then my computer and bookkeeping tasks.

Around 8:30 am I hear coos sing-songing from Mataya's room.  I walk toward her door, singing "Good Morning! How are you?"  And when I open the door, I am greeted with the biggest full body grin in the whole universe.

 After "talking" a bit with my little smiler, I turn on her mobile for her.  She watches it and kicks while I gather a diaper and clothes.
 She has discovered her feet, so she loves to lay naked in her crib and play with them.

She wakes up ready to talk and play - not a bit interested in food.

After she is changed and dressed, we move to the rocking chair and read a stack of books.

About 8:45 we say hello and good-bye to Jamison as he heads out the door for summer cross country practice.
Soon after, Joshua wakes up.

He comes down stairs ready to play and snuggle quietly.

Eventually, Mataya is ready for a bottle.

A brief morning nap soon follows.  Many days I put her in her stroller and Joshua and I go for a walk/jog/bike ride while she naps.  He jabbers while I puff and pant.

By the time we return home, Sierra has surfaced.  She enjoys a bit of "Taya time" while I shower.

And then it is time to get drag Brenna sleepy-head out of bed, make lunch, run some errands, drop off a kid or three. . . eventually the day becomes busy - but the mornings are precious.  They are, more often than not, calm and quiet.  Peaceful and unrushed.

I am cherishing every minute.

It will more than likely be the ONLY summer like this.  Next year I will be back in the office - but that only makes these short months that much more special.  Each day is precious.  Each day is a gift.

I am so very thankful.