"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, August 6, 2014

20 Years in Review

Today is our 20th wedding anniversary.  In celebration of that I spent the week going through ALL of the photos I have taken since our wedding day reliving each year, moment by moment.  As I went through books and books of snapshots, I had one goal in mind - finding a photo that somehow represented my favorite memory from each year we have been married.  Some years it was easy.  Some years it was hard.  Some years many fun, exciting, or meaningful events took place and choosing the best was difficult.  Other years it was hard to find something truly significant.  That is what makes a life, is it not?  Years of plenty and years of drought have been combined in a magnificent way to make our family all that it is today.

Want to take a walk down memory lane with me?

1994
I have said many times that our wedding day was the best day of my life.  It was the start to our life together, and it was beautiful in every way.

1995
(insert photo if I ever find one!)

Believe it or not, I can not find a single photo of our first year together?!?

However, my favorite memory from that year was Christmas.  We lived in a TINY apartment on the campus of Minot State University. Chad surprised me and brought home the largest and most beautiful live tree we have ever had.  It took up our entire living room, more or less, but we loved it.  Celebrating Christmas together was so incredibly sweet.

1996
We became parents!
Kristiana Jean (or Krissy as she prefers) was born.  Being a mommy is my greatest joy.

1997
Jamison Chad was born.  A boy and a girl, we felt so blessed!

1998
We bought our first home.  Little did we know what a blessing this "dump" would become.  Not only did it provide our family with a home, it gave us the equity we needed to start our business years later.

1999
Sierra Faith was born.

2000
We all joined Chad at the National Handgunner World Speed Shooting Championships.  He was shooting for Smith & Wesson at the time, and this was the only National level match we attended as a family.  We were so proud to watch daddy shoot with the best of the best.

2001
A different kind of baby was born when we started our business!  Chad originally shared his office with baby Sierra.

2002
Chad LOVES movies.  By Christmas of 2002 the kids were all old enough to go on a family movie date.  This is a tradition we still (try to) follow each Christmas.

2003
Brenna Joy was born.

2004
Chad and I had the amazing opportunity to go to the Bahamas.  Thoughts of this trip still make me teary as it was so much more than I had ever dreamed.  We celebrated out 10th Anniversary watching the sunset all alone on the beach.  It felt miraculous.

2005
We bought our first boat.  This was significant because it was the first time we had been able to purchase anything frivolous.  It ended up being such a wise investment.  We learned to have fun as a family, rather than working all the time.  Some of my very best times with our kids have taken place on the water.

2006
This was a hard year filled with growth.  Our business grew.  Our kids grew.  Our faith grew.

2007
Escape came on the water.  We spent as much time as we could playing with our kids.

2008
Chad and I traveled to Aruba.

2009
We asked the kids to plan a trip.  We told them we would take them anywhere they wished to go in the continental US, and they chose Magic Kingdom, of course!  They has SO much fun on this trip.

2010
Joshua Gebeyehu Chad joined our family. I do not think there has EVER been a time when I was more ready to be wrapped in Chad's arms than when I walked off that plane with our new son in my arms.  This was a moment of joy and relief.  We were finally all together.

2011
We worked hard and long learning to parent Joshua.  It was a time when Chad took care of me in so many ways.  He had my back and supported and trusted me as we learned to be adoptive parents.  It was hard - but in many ways it was also the best year of our marriage.

2012
 This is the only year in which I allowed myself two events as "best."

In 2012 we built our home.  We lived in campers for 6 months. We worked long, hard, hot sweaty hours.  We experienced loss as the home flooded just before completion.  It was the hardest time of my life.  Working two jobs, living in campers, playing construction worker alongside Chad and the kids in every spare moment was not my idea of fun! I am not yet healed enough to call it the best part of the year, but I think there will come a time when I am.  Living in this home that we built together is very special.  God-willing we will grow old here, rock our grandbabies here, and some day, I am sure, that year will be one of the best years of my life.
However until I get to that place - my favorite memory of 2012 was traveling to Hawaii with the love of my life!

2013
Chad and I traveled to Ethiopia together.  This was a dream come true for me.

2014
Sweet, precious Mataya Hope was born.

I chose this delivery room photo because I am so thankful that Chad stood by my side throughout five births.  The delivery room is not his favorite, but in the delivery room - just like in all other areas of life - he was there, by my side, supporting me in every way that he could.

After spending so much of this week thinking through the last 20 years, one thing is certain, we have had a good life.  It makes me giddy to think of all the years, God-willing, we still have in front of us.

Once in a while people ask how we knew?  How did we know at 19 that it would work?  How do we still make it work?

Here are my thoughts:
1. Always remember that while some moments are long, the years pass quickly.

2. Love is not a feeling it is a choice.  Most of the time when Chad walks in the door after work I can not wait to see him.  But there have been days, weeks, even the occasional month in which I have not felt like a bride.  There are times when I choose love.  I choose commitment.  I choose kindness and faithfulness.  I choose forgiveness.  So does he.  (I'm actually not that easy to live with!)  When we choose love, over and over, a life of love is built.

3. Pray.  Only God can bind two people together in a way that is solid and true.

Chad - thank you for loving me so well.  Words can not express all that your love and the life we share mean to me.  Marrying you is the best choice I have ever made, no doubt about it.  I adore you, my sweet prince.