"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, December 1, 2014

Giving Thanks for Today

Something wonderful happened this morning, my son's truck did not start! It was -17* this morning.  After the long Thanksgiving holiday weekend, our cupboards are getting bare.  I had a long list of errands that I had planned to run.  It was supposed to be a busy day.

And with one simple turn of events that all changed.  Jamison needed my vehicle, which means Mataya and I are "stuck" at home today!

While I could have panicked about all my plans being ruined, I instead decided to rejoice in the fact that I did not have to go anywhere.  I have the ability to be home this year, and I am savoring every minute.  So instead of running errands in the freezing cold with poor Mataya bundled up, we spent the morning playing.

And vacuuming.  (I love vacuuming! Truly!)

And catching up on emails.

And paying personal bills.

And dancing to Christmas music.

Mataya loves music.  She is so cute dancing on her rump, clapping along to songs.

It was a morning I simply savored.

I walked around my festively decorated home and soaked in the view from each window.  Fingered various Christmas decorations remembering how they became treasures.  (My favorite thing about Christmas decorations is that each and every one comes with a story.  My kids have been testing me on this.  In the process they are learning just how sappy their mom is!)

I sat on the floor entering bills into my computer while Mataya played nearby.  I was choked up anew by the fact that my nearness makes her so happy.  She plays and plays as long as I am within reach.  She has no desire to be far from me.  Experience has taught me that this phase is short-lived, thus I am enjoying her adoration so very much.

I had a chance to edit the few photos I took over the holiday.  That didn't take long!  These days my arms and heart are too full to snap many photos.

 The first snow of the season was sticky - perfect for making the "biggest snowball ever!"
 Snuggly sisters with matching bedhead.  Oh - how I love them.
 Daddy making our favorite, cinnamon roll pancakes.  He really could open up a B & B.
 Our home ready for 28 Thanksgiving dinner guests.  It has taken me too long to fully embrace this house - but at long last I love every inch.
 Brenna and her cousin Ainsley.

There were many moments worthy of photography on Thursday, but this is the only one I captured!
 Brenna and Mataya. I think Brenna may be growing faster than Mataya right now.  She is changing daily, becoming a beautiful young lady rather than the little girl of yesterday.  It is such an honor to witness my kids grow.
 Mataya Hopey girl played so long with her cousins Ben and Lincoln.  She would take short naps and awaken quickly so as not to miss a moment.  Her preciousness makes me all mushy inside.  And don't get me started on those silver leggings!  It is sooooo fun to have a little girl to dress!!!
 My tall son gave me THE BEST gift this holiday season!
He put lights up on the outside of our house!!!

I married a near perfect man.  His one flaw is that he hates hanging Christmas lights.  This year I begged our son to hang a few, and he did!  He did such a great job making sure they were centered and the cords were as hidden as possible.  I had no idea he would pay as much attention to the small details as he did.  I am beyond thrilled!

Sometimes the small stuff means so much - I am "5-year-old giddy" over my 23 feet of Christmas lights.  (For real!)

Not pictured:
Brenna playing with Mataya in the family room, helping her feel comfortable with Grammy and Adrianna.   Mataya tends to be all about me when I'm near.  I love that Brenna was willing to help her sister connect with family members that adore her.

Joshua playing with remote control cars for hours.

Joshua and Ainsley being fun and crazy together.  They are kindred spirits.

My nephews. Love them so much and so enjoyed time with them.

28 family members happily eating Grandma Great's turkey, gravy, and stuffing.

A movie with Krissy and Brenna.

Decorating for Christmas with Brenna while listening to Jamison's Christmas music.

Mataya imitating every giggle and expression - especially Sierra's.

Jay pulling an all nighter shopping with friends on Black Friday.

God speaking to me tenderly during a Thanksgiving Day run.

Chad and the kids prepping meat for sausage in the garage.

Laughter.  Lots of noisy laughter.

Grandpa Great giving Krissy a tender hug.

So many blessings.  I am thankful for the time today to reflect upon each of them.

Before long Brenna and Joshua will run from the bus through the frosty cold into my kitchen.  Bickering and laughter and stories about their day will fill my ears.  We will share a cup of hot cocoa before we set up the Christmas tree.

These days are precious.

They are fleeting.

I cherish them.  Today and always.