"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, April 9, 2015

Recovering. . .

Because Sierra and I are both blunt, I am just going to say it. . . surgery sucks!

This entire process has been much more difficult than we expected and if we had it to do over again, we would wait until summer!  BUT we do not have it to do over again, so we are pressing ahead.

Med #3 has been very helpful.  Once we figured out the correct doseage, we have a more comfortable daughter who also has a similar personality to the one we brought to the hospital to have her shoulder operated on 2 weeks ago!  Too much of the med makes her loopy.  Too little and she hurts.  We have found the balance, and we are both thankful.

Sierra returned to school as of Tuesday.  School has been a struggle.  Getting bumped in the crowded hallways is simply painful.  Trying to write is both very painful and very frustrating.  (The writing situation is why we say we would not do this until summer if we could push rewind.  We asked about writing, and we were told she would be able to write.  They did not make it sound like it would be too difficult.  Lies, lies lies!!!)  And when you are lacking your dominant arm everything is hard. . . carrying a lunch tray, styling your hair, doing make-up, zipping your jeans.  To use teen slang, the struggle is real!

On the flip side, Sierra is 100 times better this week than she was last week.

We rejoice in that this suffering is temporary.

It has been very humbling to me to think of what life would be like if we had a child with permanent special needs.  How I use my time has totally changed in the last two weeks.  Sierra needs help showering, dressing, drying and styling her hair, driving, doing her homework, cutting her meat, etc...  Sierra is a total trooper!  She does everything she can on her own!  She does more and more for herself every day.  I am not complaining a bit.  I am so thankful that my working from home allows me to easily adapt my schedule.  My point is simply one of gratitude.  Having six children that are impossible independent is a much greater gift than I had realized.  I will never again take that for granted!

 Mataya loves to share snacks with Sierra.  Sierra does not have a huge appetite, and we are always shoving food down her along with the meds.  Mataya has figured out that Sierra gets the good stuff!  Anytime she sees Sierra with a snack, she crawls over and chants "please, please!" until Sierra shares.  Then she gives her sister a huge grin and says "tu tu" (thank you).  It is just precious enough that she is rarely told no!
Sierra will probably hate this picture, but it is a victory shot in my book!

It was taken about 9 days after surgery, and it was the first time she had felt well enough to sit at the counter and eat.  I have never, ever been so happy to see anyone sitting in my kitchen!  

Please continue to pray for our Berra-girl.  This slow, slow recovery is hard.  She feels very discouraged some days.  Hurting drains the fun out of life.  Catching up on homework stinks.  School is overwhelming.  My prayer for her is that she will allow us all to love her well right now.  Sierra thrives as the strong, encouraging helper.  She struggles with needing and thus accepting help.  I am praying that help is offered and she will have the courage and grace to accept it.  I am praying that she will feel loved and cared for emotionally and physically during this time of recovery in very tangible ways.  I am praying that God heals and as He heals that hope and joy reign in her spirit.