"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, April 27, 2015

Encourage One Another

I was reminded anew how words of encouragement can change everything bright and early one morning last week.

I had woken up early. Way too early.  I was feeling grumpy and drowsy and incapable.  But I had promised, so I drug my grumpy self upstairs, along with two cups of coffee - one for her and one for me - to attempt the task I was dreading!

That task?

Hair curling!

Yep - for real!  Sierra had begged me to curl her luscious locks and I was dreading it!  I am not good with hair.  She is.  Additionally like almost all 15 year old girls, she needs her hair to look just right.  I was SURE that the morning would end with one or both of us in tears.

She knew I was nervous.  It was pretty obvious from the sighs, along with the asking and re-asking of "are you SUUUURE you want me to try this?"

She smiled at me sweetly and said, "I know you can do it mom!"

I grabbed her brush and followed her instructions.

"First straighten the top third of each strand of hair."

 I knew I could do that.  I am OK with a straightener.

Then the instructions became more challenging.  "Grab the (curling) wand and wrap the hair around it.  Nope, start at the other end.  Yep!  You got it.  Ummm, could you please wrap the hair around it the other direction?  Thanks.  You are the best mom.  See, you got i...."

And then her instructions paused after I dropped her hair and the wand in frustration as the slippery strands refused to do as she instructed.  I sighed deep.  Closed my eyes.  Tried to remain calm, when I wanted to run from the room and never touch another wand as long as I lived.

But. . .  I had promised to give it my best shot. . .

So, we began again.

She instructed, and I did my best.

I can not imagine her helplessness.  She knew I was frustrated.  She would have much rather curled her own hair.  She could have complained and sighed like her mother was.

Instead, she saw each tiny success and used it to spur me on.  To encourage.  To lighten my load.  To give me hope.  To make me feel successful.

"Good job mom."

"Look at how well you are doing!  That curl is perfect!"

"I appreciate you so much mom."

"Wow!  This looks so good."

"You are amazing."

"I love you mom."

"Thank you so much for helping me."

Sierra's constant encouragement melted away my grumpies.  It caused my insecurities to dissipate.  It turned what I had expected to be a train-wreck into a memory I will cherish.

She taught me many things that morning.
1. Be grateful.  -  She could have been angry about her inability to do her own hair.  She chose to be grateful rather than grumpy in any way.
2. Encouragement inspires.  -    It would have only taken one sign of her displeasure and disappointment in my work for me to crumble.  While she did not tell me things looked good that did not, she found the tiny things that went right and encouraged me with each one.  Each time she noticed a success, she helped me to believe more were coming.
3. Do not let the emotions of another dictate your emotions.   -  If she had been sucked under with my bad attitude, all would have been lost.


For the first time since she had surgery, Sierra did her own hair this morning.  I am soooooo happy for both of us!  However, I am also truly grateful for the mornings we spent doing her hair together.  Her kindness, humility, gratitude, and encouragement taught me much.

Thank you Sierra for being a beautiful example of 1 Thessalonians 5:17  "Therefore encourage one another and build one another up, just as you are doing."

You inspire me.