"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, September 27, 2015

Ending Where He Began... (sort of)

Saturday, Jamison completed his final regular season cross-country race of his high school career.

And as only God could ordain. . . he started right where he began, yet - miles and miles and miles ahead!

His final race as a Senior was in the same city that he first raced as a Freshman.  I clearly remember him describing his first high school race to me.  It went something like this, "It was crazy mom.  First I saw a team mate pass out at the finish line.  Then one puked his guts out.  And all the while I am thinking. . . I guess we are not in middle school anymore!"

Little did either of us know that distance running would, in many ways, define his high school years.

So running his final race in this same city (though at a different course) was very nostalgic.

I hope he took some time to think back and to appreciate just how far he has come - both as an athlete and as a person.

I know I did.  Though I will not pretend that I did not wipe away a few tears as I washed and folded his uniform on Friday morning, I feel more excitement than grief as I think about these last weeks of his high school cross career.  I will miss him like crazy - but I also can not imagine him running another year for CHS.  He is ready to press on.  I am ready to see where the Lord leads him.

BUT before he presses on, he has a couple more races to run!

Saturday was proof that he is not the same boy he was four years ago!  Four years ago he ran cautiously, fearing for his own health and safety.  He had no idea what he was doing or just how capable he would become.  Four years later, he placed in the top 10, running with confidence and much planning.

 This is tell tale Jamison.  He does not like to go out fast - but has a personal goal that he will start moving up at the 1 mile mark and that NO ONE will pass him after that point.
 These four ended up running the whole race together.  I think it is fun when they pack up and race well as a posse.
 I love watching coaches coach.
The team has a new assistant coach this season, and Coach Hendo has been a great asset.
 The finish. . .
Jamison usually has a strong finish.  Saturday he flew.

I heard Evan, one of his best friends and the guy he is passing above, say "I rounded the last corner and could hear someone coming up FAST behind me.  I kept thinking... please be Jam, please be Jam... and then as I felt him zoom by I though YES!!! GO JAM!"


 The finish!
 Cross country is not a popular spectator sport, so when you have 5 besties road trip to cheer you on, you know you are loved!
And when the girl is brave enough to hug your sweaty self, you know she's pretty special!

What an incredible adventure high school cross country has been!

WDA and State. . . here we come for one last PARTY!