"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, September 17, 2015

Racing Season

In our household Fall = cross country season.

(and hunting season, but I prefer the XC part!)

Last Saturday, for the first time in YEARS, our entire family was at a race together!  It was so very special to me to have all the kids there.  Seeing them support each other brings deep joy and contentment to my heart.
Mataya spent most of the meet zipping around the golf course, exploring toddler style, but she tolerated being strapped on while Jay raced.  She did great!  She insisted I stand sideways so she could see and she cheered "GO! GO! GO!" along with the rest of us.  She thought it was great fun when I ran to the next spot on the course so we could cheer some more.  Though she will never remember cheering for Jamison, these are memories I will carry with me always.


 Where Joshua is, Mataya is usually close by.  He is so incredibly patient and kind toward her.  He gently teaches her and protects her.  She is one lucky girl!

 The course the kids ran was my personal favorite because so much of it is accessible for spectators.


 Senior year. . .
I wonder how many thousands of miles these two have run together?
 Jamison had his best race yet this year, finishing 9th.

I LOVE watching him race.

Even more, I love watching him be a part of this team.  When Jay was a freshman. the senior team leaders were exceptional.  It is incredible to watch Jay and his now senior teammates be leaders.  They took to heart the lessons learned when they were the underclassmen.  They are leading beautifully.  I see more team spirit than I have seen in year.  I see the very best varsity runners running alongside the slowest JV runner cheering him on.  I see true grit along with servant-heartedness.  It is very, very cool.

 Between races we sat in the shade and played with the babies.
Sigh.
It was wonderful.
 Brenna's race was toward the end of the meet.  It is her first XC season, and she gets better each race!
 Mataya had had enough of the Ergo.  She insisted on running with her own legs during Brenna's race.
 Mid-way through the race, Jamison came to her rescue.  He scooped her up and jogged her over to  the next spot where she could see Brenna running.  This is another one of those moments that she will never remember, but I will.  Her big brother carting her around after finishing his race will be etched in my heart always.  As will the way he watches out for Brenna when she races.  He makes sure to be there cheering for her.  He has also made sure to snap photos for her.  He's a pretty special guy.



 And Brenna is one tough cookie!
I went to practice with her a few weeks ago.  I though that I would be able to keep up with a 7th grade, first time runner.  I thought wrong!  I nearly collapsed trying to keep up with her.  I was definitely feeling my grandma status that day!

One of the highlights of this day, for me, came right after I snapped this picture.  Though you can not see them there was a group of runners a bit ahead of Brenna as she came into the chute.  I thought they were too far ahead for her to catch.  Sierra did not.  As Brenna came by us, Sierra started cheering for her, encouraging her to go after the girls up ahead.  And Brenna did.  She ran her long legs off and chased them down.  I am not sure why, but typing that makes me cry.  Seeing sisters believe in each other and bring out the best in each other is just such a beautiful thing.
 Another beautiful thing is the relationship between my dad and Jamison.  My dad is so proud of Jay.  He loves to watch him race.  I am so very thankful for the bond they have.  Jamison is as well. 

Sierra insisted on pictures with both of her siblings after they raced.  She was and is so very proud of each of them.  Me too! 


It was a race I will hide deep in my heart forever.  The sun was shining.  The grass was green.  The racers were fast.  And best of all my family was all together and all were happy and loving one another in such a beautiful way.  Life in my corner of the world does not get a lot better than that.

(I did not get any pics of Krissy - but trust me, she was there!)