"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, March 19, 2016

Celebrating 2!

 We have been talking about her birthday for weeks, and Mataya's greatest hope was to get to blow out her candles!  Every time I asked if she was going to have a birthday, she responded with "whhooo"  (my typing for a blowing sound.)  She could not wait to blow out her candles!  So, when she woke up the very first thing we did was insert candles into her pancake.  As you can see, she was thrilled to blow them out!

The simple, pure joy she brings is such a blessing.

 TayTay, as she calls herself, is not typically a morning person - but on her birthday she was all smiles.  Even Joshua was feeling celebratory, as he was the one that suggested this photo!

After the kids left for school, Mataya and I played all morning.  I skipped every task on my list, and we rocked and giggled, read books, chased, lingered over a bath, and painted her nails.
 Mataya is our crazy hair girl.

Her curls are darling right after her bath - but they are typically a fuzzy little rat's nest in back.
 After a relaxing morning at home, we headed to town to have lunch with Daddy.
 When we got home, I tucked her in for a nap.  While she slept I quickly put together the food for her party.  We kept things simple - sloppy joes, chips, fresh fruit salad, a veggie tray, and cupcakes.
Pink tulips will forever remind me of the day Mataya was born.  My mom brought me some to the hospital just an hour after Mataya entered the world - so when I spotted these pretty ones at the grocery store, I did not resist them!  They are wild and crazy and daintily beautiful - just like my girl.

 Wyatt loved Mataya's party food.  But then again, Wyatt loves all food.  He is getting so big.  He is such a sweet, mild-mannered, yet outgoing little guy.  He has the world's best grin, and has started scooting over to me when he needs a hug.  It is the sweetest.

Mataya tolerated the party food - but what she really wanted was more candles!



 She licked off every drop of frosting, and then, ever so thoughtfully, gave me the cupcake!

Sharing two-year-old style, I guess!?!

The ultimate surprise for this innocent one, was that not only did she get candles - she also received presents!  She truly did not expect that.  She was quietly thrilled! 
 This morning when she woke up I asked if she had had a good birthday.  She snuggled in close and told me, "Yes!  Happy!  Candles AND TayTay presents!"

After her guests left, I gave her a bath.  While daddy dozed on the couch she snuggled in tight with Jamison.  She munched on Cheetos.  Then she talked him into reading a book, twice.  Listening to them love on each other while I cleaned up the kitchen was one of those moments I will hide in my heart for a long, long time.  I wish every little girl had a big, big brother to snuggle her close.  She is one well loved little girl.

As I reflect on all that Mataya is to me, I realize just how powerfully God has used this tiny one in my life.  At the time I became pregnant with Mataya, I was in a season of hopelessness.  As she grew under my heart, hope grew in it.  It was a profoundly holy time.  I will forever remember those months of pregnancy with a tenderness that I can not even begin to explain.  Upon her birth, a new strength and identity was born in me.  God has used her to refocus my life.  He has given me wings to be who He has designed me to be - a full time momma - just when my family needed that more than ever before.  We named her Mataya Hope, God's gift of hope, because that is what she was and is to me.  Her very presence serves as a physical reminder to me that there is always a reason to hope.

Parenting a tiny one in the midst of launching our teens has been much harder than I anticipated.  The constant neediness of a tiny one combined with the deep conversations involved in teenage parenting has left me tired at a level I have never before known.  Yet, the combination has also balanced me in so many ways.  I sat at Brenna's choir and band concert the other night night with tears in my eyes.  I kept thinking that if we had followed our original plan we would be empty-nesters in just five years. That thought made me so very sad and yet also so incredibly thankful.  There will come a day when I celebrate having an empty nest.  (After I cry for a few days anyway!)  I adore my husband, and I do eagerly anticipate the quiet evenings we will spend together some day.  But, it is soooo not time yet.  I am in total awe of just how crazy-awesome God's plan is.  He gives the very best gifts. Though at first glance His gifts are sometimes the scariest and most-surprising gifts that stretch me in ways I did not think I could be stretched, they always end up being the BEST gifts when they come from Him.

Thank you Jesus for the gift of Mataya Hope.  You have used her to restore me in so many ways.  May You continue to use her all the days of her life.  May Your glorious hope radiate throughout her always.