"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, March 4, 2016

Unpacking our Journey: Final Thoughts


As I empty out my mental suitcase after this trip, I have a few final thoughts and observations:

1.  As the mother of an Ethiopian son, I really needed this trip.  Although I "accomplished" much less than I have on my other trips to Ethiopia, I learned more.  I had time to appreciate this beautiful country.  Rather than rushing, I could savor.  I had time to listen and time to observe.  This trip was a precious gift to my heart and soul.

2.  Some of the cultural gaps between Americans and Ethiopians are vast. One thing that is totally unfair is that I have been to Ethiopia.  I know and (sort of) understand what day to day life looks, feels, and smells like for both poor and middle class Ethiopians.  The Ethiopians do not have this same understanding.  My life is much more like theirs than they could ever guess.  You see, even middle class families in Ethiopia have a staff.  If I lived in Ethiopia, I would have guards who watched over my home/compound day and night.  They would also assist with maintenance.  I would also have at least one housekeeper/cook/laundress that would more than likely live in my home or on my compound.  In America, I do it all.  I have no household help.  I, along with the assistance of Chad and our kids, do all the maintenance, yard work, laundry, shopping, cooking and cleaning.  While I do have much more modern and convenient ways to accomplish these tasks, I also have more of them.  My home is larger.  My family has more clothing, etc. . .  I think most Ethiopian women would be shocked at just how hard the average American woman works.  This is not to say that they do not work hard!  They do.  They work so very hard.  My point is simply that their perception of my day to day life is a bit off.

3. There is no way for me to understand Ethiopian economics.  I was told that $100 (American) per month is a very livable wage in Ethiopia.  A single mother could rent a home, purchase groceries, send her children to school, etc... on $100 a month.  She could even save a bit of money each month.  Now - mind you, her home would have one, maybe two rooms.  She would not have indoor plumbing.  And her kitchen would be a shared space in the center of a compound.  But this would be considered an adequate/nice place for a young Ethiopian family.

4.  Amazing things are happening in Ethiopia.  I have read that Ethiopia has one of the fastest growing economies in the world.  When you visit Addis infrequently, as I have done, you really notice this.  Addis is beginning to look like a large city.  There are many big, beautiful, modern buildings.  The dress and feel of the city is decidedly more Western than it has been in the past.  There are fewer and fewer people begging on the streets.  While there is still much need, I sense much progress and great hope.

5.  My heart has come full circle.  The last time I returned from Ethiopia, I was on top of the world.  I was at the center of a ministry that I loved.  I was certain that I would be able to travel to Ethiopia once a year and watch as God worked in and through this ministry.  I was so excited and so humbly grateful that the Lord was allowing this dream to become a reality.  However, as you all know, His ways are not our ways.  The Lord HAS continued to bless that ministry.  But, my place is no longer central.  It has taken me a long, long time to be OK with that fact.  I knew the Lord was leading my family away from the church of our youth.  That was hard.  Very hard.  I fought it a long, long time.  In all reality if I had known I was not just leaving this church but also my ministry role in this Ethiopian project, I may not have had the strength to leave.  Three years later, I know that much of what I once felt as loss was gain.  God was stripping my life of all distraction.  He knew that my family was going to demand all of my energy and all of my focus and all of my faith and all of my prayers.  He stripped me of pretty much everything outside of my home - but it was for my good and for His glory.  And in His extravagant grace, He also allowed me to return to Ethiopia.  And although this trip was not all I had dreamed (still grieving that we did not meet Biniam), it was such a soothing balm for my heart and soul.  I return from Ethiopia this time with nothing but question marks.  I have no idea when I will return.  I have no idea if He will ever call me into a focused ministry there again.  And yet my heart is totally peaceful.  Where I have no plan, I know that He does.

(Also - while my family did leave a particular church, we did not leave Jesus.  We also had no intention of leaving friendships in the dust.  Or hurting any feelings.  Following Jesus was our only goal, and He was asking us to sit under different leadership for a season.)

6.  Child sponsorship matters.  Do it.  And do it big.  Send those kids you sponsor letters.  Pray for them.  Open your heart, not just your checkbook, for them.  The growth - emotional, spiritual, and physical - the Lord allowed me to witness in an entire neighborhood leaves no room for debate.   If you can, go visit.  If you can  not, that is OK.  Write.  Give of your heart, time, and prayers.  Knowing that someone believes in them enough to give money and send love, changes a little heart forever.  When you know someone deems you worthy, you begin to act worthy.  And when you act worthy, your life is changed forever.

7.  Prayer matters.  The most beautiful things I learned this trip was about the power of prayer.  There was one little person who I was so worried about after our first trip.  I remember having to tell Haile's sponsor that he did not look good.  All I could say was please pray.  You can not imagine the change in that boy.  Even in the rush of 212 fluoride treatments my heart nearly stopped and tears welled near the surface when I saw him.  Where there once had been a tiny boy with dull, listless eyes and not even the energy to stand and wait in line - a tall, wiggly little boy had emerged.  His eyes were bright and clear.  He was restless and so ready to go back out and play with the other boys.  The prayers of his sponsor have surely been honored.  True, he has had better nutrition since being a part of this program for nearly three years - but only prayer could make a change as great as I witnessed in Haile.

Additionally, prayer is what kept us safe while in country.  Of that I have no doubt.

So keep praying, my friends, even when you can not see results.  God is not finished, yet.

Thanks for traveling with me!

I love you all,
Alicia