"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, August 25, 2016

Back to School 2016

I have said it before, and I will say it again.  I hate back to school!  I like my kids HOME - but since I do not feel home schooling is the right choice for our family, and I DO value education, back to school is inevitable!

This morning, I sent three smiling and hopeful young people off to continue their educations.  Not one tear was shed.  (Not even by me!)

 Sierra is a junior in high school.  She has a pretty tough academic schedule this year.  She is also working at an after school program each day, and she is playing recreational volley ball a couple of nights a week.  She also participates in and volunteers at many church activities.  She is a busy girl, and she loves it that way.  The shoulder injury she received freshman year was life altering.  In all reality it took her a long, long time to recover emotionally.  She will never be the same physically.  BUT at this point she can see God's handprints all over it.  He did render her physically incapable of some things - cheer included.  However, He also met her in the pain and confusion and showed her to a new path.  She would tell you that her focus is now on better things and for that she gives Him all the glory.  
 Brenna is in eighth grade.  She has a varied schedule which includes both choir and band and advanced math.  She is running cross country this fall as well.  It feels as though she is on the edge of so much.  High school with all its fun and freedom and added peer issues is just around the corner.  I am trying to spend as much one on one time with her as possible.  I am very intentionally trying to pour into her, connect with her, and enjoy her every chance I get.
And this stinker is in second grade.  Though he looks like he is very sad, he was ready for school.  He even spoke with his teacher at the open house yesterday!  (I know that doesn't seem like a big deal, but trust me, it IS!!!)  Joshua does not love school.  The structure, focus, and constant demands are hard for him.  He does not like to read or write.  He is a capable student, however he reluctant, maybe even resistant, rather than passionate. My prayer for him this year is that he begins to love learning.  Thus far he has done what is asked, but he has NO joy in anything he has accomplished.  I am trusting the Lord to change his heart and create a love of learning.  I would be thrilled if you would join me! 


Mataya thought the world had gone mad when she woke up this morning.  We were all up and dressed at dawn, AND it was cold outside.  (It was very chilly.  Unseasonably so.)  She was NOT impressed!  She perked up after everyone was gone though.  She loves to have me to herself!  We spent the morning running errands and working at my office.  We also had lunch, played play dough, watered the flowers, took a nap, and made supper.  

Looking back, summer was exactly what I needed.  It was so healing.  I was absolutely depleted when it began.  I needed rest, sunshine, flexibility, quiet and the love of my family to help me find me again.  God used each of them to love me and support me in very specific ways.  I am so thankful for the way He (and they) love me.

And now. . . I am ready to take on routine again.

For everything there is a season.