"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, July 5, 2017

Searching for Beauty

(For me, running - particularly long runs - are metaphors for life.  Since I am running longer this summer, you will have the "honor" of reading a lot of my long run ramblings. . .)

I have LOVED running at the lake.  I am unfamiliar with the area, and as I run longer, it is exciting to discover new roads and scenery.  Saturday morning, very early, I was running on a brand new (to me) road.  Before I turned onto it I debated whether to take this new path or to stick with a route I knew.  The route I knew was pretty flat.  This new road began with a hill, and I had no idea what came after that hill.  I decided to live adventurously.

I chugged up that hill with joyful anticipation.  I was about 3.5 miles into my run, and I was excited to see what was ahead.  I literally thought, "This is so fun!  I can not wait to see what is up ahead."

And then I saw.


This may look like an ordinary, gravel road in rural ND to you - but in that moment all I saw was miles and miles of rolling hills.  And I was not happy.  While I was in the mood for an adventure, I had a flatter adventure in mind.  I knew that when I returned to the cabin/camper I had hours and hours of work ahead of me.  Siding to install, meals to make.  The day ahead did not hold rest, this long run was only the beginning of a 14 hour day of hard physical labor.  I literally stopped at the crest of the hill and snapped this photo, trying to decide how to proceed.  Should I continue the adventure?  Or flee to safer, flatter territory?

Sheer stubbornness spurred me to continue on the road in front of me.

For about half a mile, I ran grumpily.  I complained to God about hills and hard and being tired - both on this run and in my life.  I griped about wanting some flat ground to run on, some smooth sailing, some easy.  

And do you know how He answered me?

He said, "Look up."

"Take your eyes off what is right in front of your feet and look around you."

"See the beauty that surrounds you."

"Even in this hard."

"Especially in this hard."


So I did.

And it changed everything.

I saw birds soaring high above.

Momma ducks swimming with their ducklings close behind.

A few deer.

An otter or muskrat (the jury is still out).

Miles and miles of green and growing wheat.

Brilliant skies.

Canola fields that were so lovely I stopped to take a picture.

In the end, it was an amazing run.  Surrounded by beauty and grace.  (Along with sore feet, heavy breathing, and a lot of sweat.  Noticing the beauty did not end the pain.  It just made it bearable, beautiful, and worth it.)

All because I took my eyes off myself and searched for the beauty that was all around me. 
I don't know where the road will lead this week - yours or mine.

I have hopes and dreams that I am waiting on.  I have responsibilities that are waiting on me.  I have no idea how the two will intersect.  I do know that when I lift my eyes up, there is beauty that can be found in every moment.  The key is to remember to search for it.

"I lift my eyes up to the hills - where does my help come from?  My help comes from the Lord, maker of heaven and earth.  Indeed, He who watches over Israel (me) will never slumber."  
Psalm 121:1