"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, September 23, 2012

C-RAZY COURAGEOUS Racing!

The highlight of my week has been watching Jamison race each Saturday.  As a wanna-be runner (when my life is not quite so busy, that is) I love distance racing. I am not much of a sports fan, but I have HUGE admiration for distance runners.  I love watching races, reading race/training strategy, etc. . .
 
So - watching my son run is totally awesome!
 
Seeing the brave, determined, and confident way he has attacked this cross country season is nothing short of pure joy!
 
Each and every week, he has set a personal record.
 
This week, his time was around 90 seconds faster than when he ran the same course 4 weeks earlier.  (And he was thrilled by his original time!)
 
Week to week, he has dropped 20, 30, or 40 seconds off his PR.
 
I truly do not know how he can improve so dramatically every race.
I truly do not know how he can push his mind and body to perform the way he has been.
 
 
This week, his goal was to finish in the top 15 so that he would score his first trophy race tshirt.  It was a tough goal.  He knew he had to pace himself with one particular team mate to complete this goal.  This team mate ran all summer, Jay did not as he was nursing a hip injury.  He can not quite keep up with this team mate at practice.
 
But, my son is a brave competitor.
(I am not.  I like safety, which makes me admire his calculated courage all the more!)
 
So he went for it.
Though he feared he would "die" near the end of the race, he went for it.
Because, "If I don't try I will never know what I could have done."
 
In all honesty, I never doubted that Jay would finish this race two strides behind his team mate.  That is just how my son works.  He sets a goal, and then he figures out how to accomplish it.
 
I did not take photos during the race, but Chad snapped this photo of the awards ceremony following the race.  Jay finished 12th, less than 2 secs behind his "faster" team mate.
 
And while his placing did not shock me, his time did.
Somehow, my determined son sliced another 40 seconds off his PR.
That is some crazy brave running.
 
Next week the boys do not race.
Any guesses what his goal is for the week after next?
 
I am not sure who is having more fun this cross country season, Jamison or me?!?
I do know, that I leave each race feeling so inspired to live like Jay races.
 
I want to live ALL OUT.
I want to live with courage, heart, and intelligence.
I don't want to save love, service, effort. . . for another day.
 
Thanks for inspiring me, son!
You are C-RAZY COURAGEOUS, and I want to be just like you!
 
PS - Thanks for praying for us this weekend.  It was a better weekend than the week, by far.
 
PPS - Sierra is so wishing to get in a couple of races this season.  Her tendon is feeling much better, and as soon as her custom orthotics arrive, she will be back to running with her team.  It has been a bummer to cheer instead of compete.  I am so proud of the way she has continues to support her brother and her middle school team mates despite her personal struggles!