"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Construction Update: Trim, Tile, and More

Tired!  That is the ONLY description I have for myself about now.
Really, really tired!
 
Fortunately, our tired has resulted in much progress!
 The HVAC subcontractor has the heating and cooling system just about ready to go.  We should have A/C this week.
 The septic system passed inspection and is nearly backfilled.
Brenna and Joshua were sorry to say good-bye to the dirt piles, but we are all excited about the possibility of toilets and a real shower within the week.
 
Really excited!
 Joshua and I made it out just in time for him to "supervise" the final concrete pour.
Our driveway is officially complete!
 Daddy even let Joshua put his hand print in the concrete.
 (love this shot)
 Here is his sweet little hand print.
He just adores construction.  Just today Joshua told me that he wished he could just skip school forever (and he is really enjoying school) and be a worker for his daddy.
 This weekend, we worked on flooring.
Chad laid tile.
 I grouted.
 
I was nervous!  Bad grout ruins good tile, and Chad is VERY good at laying tile.
I was so encouraged at the thumbs up he gave my grout.
 
I was so thankful that Jamison was there to help me haul pails of water.  We do not have water inside the house yet, so in order to wash the tiles clean while grouting many, many, many, many pails of water had to be carried in and out of the house.  Jamison did this thankless job.  He saved me much time and labor.  I am so grateful for both his strong muscle and helpful heart!
 
(Above is our back entry. From the way this photo is taken the garage is behing me.  In front of me is laundry room and pantry on the left.  Mud room and Joshua's bathroom on the right.  Kitchen straight ahead.)
 In addition to the back entry area, we tiled and grouted both bathrooms on the second floor.
 Chad and I had planned on hanging doors and trimming out the doors and windows ourselves, but he was short on work for his carpenter last week - so Jason did that work for us.  He did a beautiful job!  The kids helped me sand all the doors and trim over the weekend.  They also helped fill all the nail holes.  Then I re-coated everything with one final coat of lacquer.
 
I am very pleased with the results.
 This is just a shot of Jamison's closet doors.
 
The upstairs is completely ready for carpet, which may be laid this week!
 These last photos are my favorite!
 
I am loving my kitchen, which is a surprise because I did not like it on the plan.
 
On the far left is a large built in booth/bench/ island.
On the right is a built in cabinet for my china, which faces the dining hall.
Here is the kitchen from the other side.
 
The cabinets should be fully installed in another day or two.
The counter top should be here soon as well.
The appliances are in the family room waiting to be installed.
 
 
And the answer to the question EVERYONE keeps asking, when will you move in?
We are thinking we will move some things in within the next 10 days.
The house will NOT be complete at that point, but if we can live in it or at least at the lot in campers, life will be much less fractured.  So, God-willing,  that will happen pretty soon.
 
Chad met with the bank today, and he agreed to have the house 100% complete in 60 days.  He is feeling really overwhelmed by that.  We had hoped to close with some details unfinished, but 60 days is (barely) do-able AND we will all be VERY thankful to have this project DONE!