"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, September 30, 2012

Construction Update: Getting Settled!

Well. . .
 
Last week "it" happened.
 
We moved in!
 
It went NOTHING like this planner expected.  I thought we would make a plan.  I'd work ahead, schedule a few days off, and get us settled.  In reality, I walked out of the house one evening about 8pm.  I was planning on getting Joshua and Brenna settled in the camper for the night.  Chad, however, had other plans.  He was unloading the moving trailer.
 
I was a bit overwhelmed at first.
 
It WAS bedtime, on a school night for goodness sake!
 
But, I decided to just go with it.
 
That was last Tuesday night.
I spent most of Wednesday trying to clear off my desks at both of my jobs.
 
THEN, I spent Thursday through today getting us unpacked.
Being home for 4 days was totally glorious. (I did have to go into work for a couple hours on Saturday, but I'm trying to forget about that interruption!)  I love being home.  Being at home was/is my dream job - so pretending I was a stay at home mom for a few days was my dream vacation!
 
Let me show you what I got done!
 
 This is our front entry.
 These photos are the main floor bathroom.
 
It is the only bathroom that is completely complete.
 The shower Chad tiled is so wonderful.
AND, I can not tell you how much we are enjoying and appreciating long hot showers.
Plentiful hot water truly feels like a miracle.
 These photos were taken by my friend Lyra when she was in Awassa, Ethiopia.
I LOVE them!
 This is the entry off the garage.
It is very simply built out, with a huge cabinet for shoes.
I am so thankful to no longer be tripping over everyone's shoes every time I walk through a door.
 Opposite the show cabinet is a bench.
It is a largish open space that is working well for our crew.
 Next time you put a load of clothes in your washer, say a prayer of thanks!  Let me tell you, life is so much more convenient with these two treasures up and running again.
This cabinet is opposite my washer and dryer.  It is perfect for our family.  There is a shelf for each of us.  Once I have laundry washed and folded, it is easy for the kids to retrieve their things.
 
I have never had a laundry room that is nearly this effective.  While it is not very big, it is perfectly designed (thanks Paul!).  It is dreamy!
 My kitchen
 Once again I can not explain how much easier life is with a full size kitchen.  Preparing meals for a family of 7 using "real" appliances is so wonderful.  I have never, ever been more thankful to eat off metal forks, buy a whole gallon of milk, or bake a sheet of cookies.
 
We take so much for granted.
(and that is another post)
 Joshua Gebeyehu's room.
He is so proud!
 
He is also doing better and better with this transition each day.
 Jamison's room.
 
My tall son is very thankful to be sleeping on a queen size bed instead of the fold-out camper couch he slept on for the last 3+ months.
The loft.
 
 I just love how this room turned out.
 
It is so very cozy.
(Not to mention comfy!  Sitting on a real couch feels so good!)
 Brenna's room.
 
She unpacked and arranged everything all by herself.
Didn't she do great?
She has such an artistic eye!
 Sierra's room.
 
Jay put her bed together this afternoon.
I am so thankful for the help of our kids.
 Krissy's room.
She chose well.
It is so beautiful.
 
Not to mention comfortable!
I sat down on her couch the other night and she nearly had to kick me out.
It felt so good to cozy up in her room and chat.
 
I have missed late night chats with our teenagers.
It is SOOOOOO good to have us all under one roof again.
 
 
For the record, the house is not done.
If you look closely you can see unfinished items in many of the above photos.
Little things like missing trim here or a door knob needing to be installed.
 
 
There are also several BIG projects which need to be completed.
The completion on these items is not you typical "honey-do-list", it is actually required by the bank.  So we will continue to be very busy for the next ~53 days until we officially close on this home.
 This is the family room.
 As long as the weather holds, Chad needs to install stone on these pillars and the front of the house.
 This is the master bath and closet.
It still needs a lot of work.
 This is Krissy and Brenna's bathroom.
Chad poured this concrete counter top last week.
It is stunning.  He truly never ceases to amaze me.
 
This bathroom still needs tile, mirror, light, and water.
 
So although the work is not complete, we rejoice tonight. 
How else would I celebrate?
 
(In case you do not know, I love to buy a bottle of wine that has a significant label for the event I am celebrating.)
 
Tonight Chad and I toasted with "Castle Rock,"  because this castle rocks! 
We are so thankful.