"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, September 21, 2012

Construction Update: A Meter Miracle

It was an incredibly difficult week.  As I say that, realize I have a very high tolerance.  It was BAD.
 
I had started the week with high, but Chad and I believed realistic expectations.  I truly thought that by tonight I would be starting to unpack.  I thought wrong.
 
  • The HVAC guys never showed up.
  • The electricians never showed up.
  • The plumbers spent one day here.  I appreciate the work they did do, but it was like handing a pacifier to a hungry baby...
  • Our carpenter cut his hand, so he was only able to work about 6 hours all week.
  • Chad had a lot going on at work, so he barely worked on the house this week. Plus he has our bathroom about half way tiled and I am not sure I like the tile now that the countertop has been installed.  Tear it out?  Live with it?  I am just not sure.  How do I ask my exhausted hubs to tear out good work?  Yet is it a waste of money to have tile/countertop I am not very fond of?
  • The electricians put the wires for the under-cabinet lighting down too far, which means Chad will need to tile a backsplash now.  We had hoped to wait on this until we were ready for a fun project in like 2015.  I have not thought at all about what I want the backsplash to look like.  I have chosen so many things, it is just not fun any more.  Chad does not have time to do it.  But it has now been added to the list.
  • And the kicker. . . MDU told us they would not be able to install a gas meter until October 1.  We have been in the construction business for 11 years, and Chad has NEVER had to wait even close to that long for a gas meter before.  NO gas meter = no gas.  No gas = no hot water.  AAAAAAAAGH!
 
On top of all that, Joshua had the hardest week he has had in a very, very long time.  Some control, fear, attachment issues surfaced that I had hoped were gone forever.  Bedtimes have been similar to when he first entered our family, except where he previously just cried, he now has sophisticated vocabulary.  His words were not helpful.  They were weapons.  I was seriously defeated.  I did not know what to do to make his world feel safer and more routine in our current living situation.  These issues are also very difficult to parent through in the tiny space we live in.  I am not joking when I say last night Joshua and I cried him to sleep together.  I can put up with almost anything if I know my kids are OK, but when they are legitimately struggling I can not endure.
 
Last night I barely slept as I tried to search my brain for the right set of trauma parenting tools to use in our current quarters.  I knew we had to come up with a better plan if we were to get through the next couple of weeks.  As I tossed and turned (with a 4 year old on one side and my hubby on the other) I added my prayers to the prayers of several other dear ones that I sent a "911 prayer text" to late in the evening.
 
I woke up tired.  Joshua woke up looking for a fight.  Somehow the tools I grabbed for got us out the door with out a major melt down.  That was the first miracle of the day.
 
The second one came at about 1:45 this afternoon.  Chad came into my office and said, "Want to hear some good news for a change?  MDU is driving out to our house NOW to set the gas meter!"
 
I was near tears with gratitude. . . over a gas meter!  Never thought that would happen, but I am SO thankful.  So, as of tonight we have a gas meter.  The HVAC guys have us "scheduled" for Tuesday - which means that IF they show as scheduled, we will have HOT water by Tuesday evening.
 
That is a miracle.  Truly.
 
Here are a few other things that made this stressed out momma smile this week:
 
 The moving trailer is back!
Not sure when we will start unloading it, but at least it is here.
 The countertops were installed.
The finishing touches were completed on our cabinets.
I am thrilled with them.
 Joshua and Brenna were so excited about the booth that they insisted we eat on it right away.
 I agreed.
We ordered pizza to celebrate.
(Because I know you want a better look at my island...)