"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, March 30, 2013

Joshua's Prayer of Praise

 
 This photo marks a new chapter in our family.
 
To me it says, we are home.
 
Late this afternoon, Chad and I walked the dog around the neighborhood loop.  Brenna and Joshua raced ahead on their bikes.  Joshua sang at the top of his lungs.  Brenna scolded him for being noisy.  Riley pulled on his leash with no manners, whatsoever.  Chad held my hand.  We chatted and joked. We were a "normal" family taking an afternoon stroll.
 
I know that does not seem historic.  But to my heart it was.  Last summer we worked. And that was IT.  To take the time to enjoy our neighborhood and our kids this afternoon felt like a major accomplishment.  It made me really, really happy!
 
Joshua Gebeyehu Chad Dietrich had a major accomplishment this afternoon as well.
 
He rode his bike - super fast - through the entire one mile loop that surrounds our neighborhood!
 
Once again, that may not sound historic.  But last spring Joshua was still so lacking in endurance.  He was able to ride bike.  The skill was there, but his legs got so exhausted so quickly.  He literally could not pedal all the way around one city block.
 
After 2 years of good nutrition and crazy growth spurts, a summer filled with construction work was exactly what Joshua's body needed.  (Much to my chagrin!)  Spending last summer climbing and pounding and digging and playing in the country, helped Joshua develop endurance.  He is now strong and fast and determined.
 
After we made it all the way home, I high-fived Gubs and told him how awesome he had done. When I told him he had ridden a whole mile, he said "That's why I got so sweaty I had to take my shirt off!  And my legs feel tired mom, but I DID IT!"
 
It really is a shocking transformation!
 
As I tucked Joshua into bed tonight, we talked about Jamison's favorite verse Phil 4:13.  I reminded Joshua what a great job he had done riding bike this afternoon.  I explained how strong he had gotten in the last year and how thankful I was that God gave him that strength. 
 
As we prayed, I said something like - Thank you God that you have made Joshua strong.  We know that he will be able to do all things through Your strength."
 
And Joshua responded, "God and Jesus, You are awesome!"
 
Joshua allows me to pray for/with him always, but he rarely chooses to pray.  His words of true praise made my heart leap this Easter eve.
 
He is so correct.
 
God! Jesus! You are awesome!