"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, May 7, 2013

All Kinds of Crazy

We leave for Ethiopia on Thursday and getting ready for a trip has never, ever been this difficult.

Organizing for a team of 14 is harder than organizing for my family.

Arranging for 150 kids to have care packages and activities and nametags and. . . is a whole new experience.  It is an honor and a dream come true - but also a lot!

Getting both of my offices prepared for my departure is insanity.

Communicating all the details that go along with 4 kids (1 comes with me!) is a big undertaking.  I have incredible people taking care of my kids while we are away - which is an even bigger undertaking!!  I am truly NOT a bit worried about my kids.  I am a bit worried about the caregivers!  (ha!)

Add in the end of the school year awards ceremonies, track meets, and field trips and I feel like my brain is oozing out my ears!

At the same time, I am totally, completely joyful.

I GET TO RETURN TO ETHIOPIA!!!  THAT MAKES MY HEART SING!!!

BONUS - CHAD, SIERRA, MY MOM, AND 11 OTHER AMAZING PEOPLE FROM MY CHURCH ARE COMING WITH ME!!!

IT IS ALMOST TOO DREAMY TO BE REAL!

Truly!


Today, I was able to watch as Jamison received the "President's Outstanding Academic Achievement Award."

 
Although there was a track meet today, his track coaches decided to have Freshman attend this award ceremony instead of running.  I really appreciate that they encourage their athletes to be good students.
 
As far as Chad and I go - we want our kids to develop Godly character.  In all areas of life, we want them to work hard, be kind, compassionate, encouraging, respectful people who stand for what they believe in.  While I am extremely proud of Jamison's measurable accomplishments this Spring, both in track and in academics, what I am most proud of is WHO he is.
 
One other observation I made about my son today is that he has become TALL.  I know I call him my tall son often, but today I realized that he really is!  I have seen him in mixed age groups this year.  He is never short - even when surrounded by seniors.  I figured he was just a bit on the tall side of average for his age.  I realized today that he is tall for his age.  It surprised me a bit because although I have many tall family members Chad does not! 


Sierra had her final track meet of the season today.

It was in Minot, and there was no way that either Chad or I could take the day off to road trip and watch her.  So, she graciously texted me throughout the day with updates.  Since I am a mom who prefers to be in the stands than behind my desk, I really appreciate her keeping me in the loop.

Here is a track meet via text:

Sierra: 6th in 200 hurdles!!! :) i did the best in horrizon 7th grade hurdlers!!!!!

Me: EEEEEEK!!! So so proud of you! Congrats!

Sierra: Me too just ran a 100 dont know the results but i got 19.36 wich is a great time for me!!!  Sad that this is the last meet but excited about results and times

Me: Coolio!  So happy for you!

Sierra: Got 7th in the 100 hurdles u really did good today!  So happy and proud of myself

Me: We r so proud of u :)  :)

Sierra: :) thanks

So - I am bummed that Chad and I missed her most successful meet.  Yet, I am thrilled she was able to communicate with me some throughout the day!

(Please pray that the same will be true when Jay runs on Monday and I am in Ethiopia!  His meet starts at 2 pm here, which is 10pm in Ethiopia.  It may be a really, really late night for me in ET - but God willing I will get a few details about his run!)

This evening I began packing.


I could/should probably become a spokes person for Magicbags!  Without this marvelous invention my bag would only have held gifts for the Jemo kids.  I would have been OK with only an outfit or two for the trip - but we are all glad that after vacuume packing the gifts I have room for 7 outfits!  What a blessing technology is!
 
One funny from the day:
 
Joshua was with me at my office at church this afternoon.
 
I asked him, "Joshua?  Since you are the only Ethiopian in the room, and we are all traveling to Ethiopia this week, do you have any advice for us?"
 
He thought a minute and replied with a cheeky grin, "Make sure to drink coffee every day!"
 
"I got that!" I said.
 
My travel partners agreed!
 
Then he added, "Take a lot of pictures.  And when the car is driving skip a seat belt and stand up in the car just like Eyob let me do!"
 
 
Traveling to Ethiopia brings so many memories and emotion close to the surface.  I have been overwhelmed often as a memory catches me off guard this week.  I am so thankful that what Joshua remembered today were happy things.  His sharing about anything Ethiopian in public is new!  It made me so joyful to have him share advice proudly and happily!

Tomorrow there is way too much to do in  way too little time, and then we are off!  A long nap on a plane is in my very new future.  Hip Hip Hooray!