"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, May 5, 2013

Rockin' the Track

My little world was busy, busy, busy last week.

I leave with a team of 14 in 4 days for Ethiopia.  Let's face it - a mom of 5 with 2 jobs, should never even consider a weekend away.  10 days in Ethiopia is pure craziness!

I am so thankful that I serve a God that makes crazy possible.

While I am not ready yet, I am getting closer.

And while preparing both of my offices and my home for my departure is A LOT of work - I am completely sure that going is what I am supposed to be doing.

The sun shone through my duty driven life last week in the moments I spent watching my tracksters run.  I can not even explain how much I love to watch my kids run.

The biggest blessing of my week was a cold rainy track meet on Monday!

Towards the end of the cross country season, Jamison started making goals for his track season.  He said that he really wanted to break 5 minutes in the mile.  He ran all winter - including Christmas Eve - snow, wind, cold, rain, or shine.  He worked through some PT.  He grew and grew and grew.  He lifted and ran and then lifted and ran some more.

You get the point - our son is a talented runner.  His talent is no coincidence.  He has invested heavily, working long and hard, to be the best he can be.

I have been selfishly worrying that Jay would accomplish his sub-5-minute mile goal while I was in Ethiopia.  Whether or not I am in the stands, I would be thrilled for my tall son - but I really, really, really, really wanted to see it happen.

A lot!

Last Saturday, he ran great.  He came in just over 5 minutes, not quite his goal time - but faster than his coach asked.

Racing is hard on a body.  He was not sure if he could run faster still on Monday, just 2 days after his last race.  He WAS determined to give it his all.

I am SO THANKFUL he did!  Because on Monday, April 29, 2013, I saw my son run a mile under 5 minutes for the first time.

He is such a good boy!  He accomplished his goal, AND he allowed his momma to see it happen.

It was such a blessing to me.

We watched every split through the race.  We knew he was so close.  We knew conditions were bad.  We held our breathe.

Until he crossed the line in 4.56!

It was a moment - photo or no photo - that I will never forget.

Through out the rest of the week, I worked like a crazy person preparing for the trip.  Trying to close up offices, pack up stuff for 150 kids, etc was and is crazy.  However, more track meets sprinkled my week with FUN and JOY.

On Friday, I watched Sierra run for the last time this year! (She runs one more meet on Tuesday, but it is in Minot.  I just can not take the day off to watch her - so my final meet was Friday.)


(These photos stink.  Sorry!  I forgot to charge my camera, so this is all I got!)
 
Sierra improved so much during this track season.
Both her hurdle form and her speed jumped meet to meet.
 
Sierra really struggles with foot and shin pain.  Growing so much has taken its toll on her legs!  She fought through the pain, and learned so much this season.  I am SAD to say it is over!
 
I am THRILLED to say she is flying away with us to Ethiopia this week though!  This girly says she will live in Africa just as soon as she gets some sort of medical degree.  She wants to go and serve.  I am thrilled that I will be at her side on her very first trip to Ethiopia.  Her enthusiasm, energy, and sincerity are such an asset to our team.
__________________________________________________________________ 

Yesterday we watched Jamison run the 3200 for the first time.
 
Running this race is an honor of sorts.  He is the only Freshman on his team that the coach has felt is strong enough to run the 3200.  In future seasons, his having experienced this race will be really valuable.  The first time is always the hardest, as you try to decide how to pace a race and what it feels like.  You do not want to "hit a wall" mid-race.  You also do not want to end with too much left in the tank.  There is nothing easy about distance pacing, I am learning.


 This race ended up being an extra hard race to pace because there were not very many entrants.  Each boy ran much of the race essentially by themselves. 
 Jay finished up 3rd in the JV race.  He clocked a time of 10:58.  He was pleased with that - for a first race.  He does think he could shave off significant time should he run it again.
 
And he may.
 
Jay has 2 or 3 meets left this season.  He does not know yet which events he will run.  Two of his remaining meets will be while we are in Ethiopia. 
 
 Boo Hoo!  I am more sad to miss Jay running than anything else while we are away.  In fact, I have promised him that I will not travel during xc or track season again until after he graduates!  At the same time, he is OK with us leaving.  He is excited to travel to ET with us sometime in the future, and he fully supports this trip.  (I am so thankful!)
 
So think of and pray for Jamison on May 9 and May 13!  Those are the dates of his final meets as a Freshman!

I know I will be routing for him from half way across the world.