"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Week 5

Week 5. . . life is starting to feel normal.  Not the same normal as before baby, but normal just the same.  I am doing all the regular things (minus my job at church).  We went out for supper, attended a couple of church services, went to my mom's for lunch, watched a couple of track meets. Getting my work done for Chad's business is hard - but not as hard as it was a couple of weeks ago.  My life certainly revolves around Mataya's needs - but I am beginning to feel like I can sneak in a few other things as well.  She no longer feels quite so fragile.  Neither do I.

This is my favorite picture from this week.

She almost looks like she is smiling - but don't be fooled!  She is not smiling yet.  We have a bit of a contest going as to who she smiles at first.  Daddy says it must be him. 

 This week I made two life changing discoveries.


This ring sling is one of them.
Chad's cousin Beth graciously sent it to Mataya and I.  It is amazing!  She loves it, and I can fold the laundry!  I love it too.  I like having a happy baby nestled close to me, so being able to get a few things done along with snuggling my tiny one makes me very, very happy!

The other thing we have fallen in love with is called a "Rock and Play Sleeper."

Before this, Mataya was waking about 20 minutes after I lay her down. . . all night long.  She was not hungry, just not comfy.  Since my cousin, Erica, suggested I buy this she is sleeping about 4 hours, waking to eat (for an hour. sigh. she is a sloooow eater.) and then sleeping another hour or two.  I am still tired, but four to six hours of sleep is WAY better than 20 minutes!  I would call this a newborn must-have.
 The weather is getting a bit nicer, so Chad and the kids had a fire one evening.  Mataya and I watched from the rocking chair in the family room.  Though the temps have been nice enough to be outside with her, it has been so windy that we have remained in.  Luckily, I married a man that loves to cook for me.  He brought me hotdogs and yummy s'mores.
 Mataya has gotten to be a fairly good traveler.

I am so thankful! She will spend many, many, many hours in the carseat driving kids to and from activities.  I wonder just how many hours. . .
 She also eats many meals in the car.

Life goes in two hour cycles right now.

Mataya nurses.
Then she plays for a bit.
Then she fusses and needs help falling asleep.
Then she sleeps for 45 minutes (or less).
Then we repeat the cycle.

This means in order to get anything done, I have to move quickly!  Krissy helped me buy groceries at Sams on Saturday.  We managed to fill a cart - family of 8 style - and check out in 40 minutes.  When we got back to the car and I pointed out the time, she said, "Well, I guess I know why I a sweating now!  We were cruising!"  Then we drove over to Walmart and Krissy did the rest of our shopping while I fed the baby.

I was thrilled to have her help!

Mataya and I have attempted to go to several track meets.  Poor little peanut!  You have to be tough to be the youngest of 6.  I do my best to arrive right before my athlete races and leave right after.  That way Mataya is not stuck in her carseat/stroller for too long.  It has been too cool and windy to have her out, and since she only is content while the stroller is moving, we walk laps while the kids race.

Once again, I am thankful for great help.  My dad faithfully attends each track meet.  Chad does his best to hop back and forth between work and the kids' races as well.  He also does an amazing job sending me play by play.  Many times he video a race on his phone or texts me splits as the race is happening.  I love that he keeps me included.  And with me less involved, he has become more of a "fan."  It is fun for the kids to see that!