"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, March 5, 2015

Zip Lining

 I had been waiting a couple of years to zip line.  Chad and I had planned to zip line when we were in the DR several years ago - but he was too sick.  So, this trip I was determined to try it.

Before we signed up to do it, I debated with myself a bit though.  I knew what we needed most on this trip was rest.  More than one excursion was too much since we had quite a bit of business stuff to do as well.  Zip lining would make it impossible to do any shopping or explore the town at all.  I had been curious about the area; however, I decided we will hire drivers to take us on city tours when we are "old!"  A little adventure was what I wanted this time around.

 I was very curious as to what my reaction would be once I was actually zip lining.  Years ago I had been sure I would love snorkeling.  I was so excited to try it.  But, as it turns out, I am terrified of snorkeling.  When I get that tube in my mouth all I do is hyperventilate!

Chad was equally curious as to what I would think!  An excursion that contained 12 zip lines would be a major waste if I changed my mind!

I did not change my mind.

I absolutely loved zip lining.  It was incredible!

As I "zipped" across the lines, praise songs bubbled from my soul.  Looking out over the world far below from a God-eye view was just amazing.  I felt awake and alive and absolutely in awe.





 We did 12 lines.  We started in the middle of the mountain and climbed up for some and then down for the rest.  I would have loved to go longer.
 The last line crossed low over a stream.  I managed to avoid getting wet.

Chad was not quite so lucky!
 As one of the guys in our group said, "If you hadn't been hot dogging, you probably wouldn't have gotten so wet!"
 (After the tour guides saw Chad reach out to touch the water, they pulled the line down and bounced him into the stream a couple of times!)

 He said the water was VERY COLD!
 As soon as we got done with the final line, they gave us a mule to ride up the mountain.
I really wanted them to take a GREAT picture of me riding a mule up a mountain in my shorts and tennis shoes.  I though it would be SOOOO funny to make that my profile picture on FB.  Especially since they gave me the UGLIEST mule ever.  (Seriously!  This is the most photogenic animal in the universe because in real life he was SOOOOO ugly!)  Chad and I were nearly taking bets as to what my dad and brother would say about this photo, until I saw it.  I am sure they would still find a remark or two, but nothing like they would have if they had seen him in real time.  So, I will just have to pacify myself with the memory.

(For those of you that do not know, my dad (and brother) are horseman.  He has very carefully chosen each horse on his ranch because of its bloodlines and abilities.  My ugly mule and wearing a breast collar made of rope, would NOT make the cut.  Not to mention the fact that his daughter has never been allowed to ride in shorts and certainly NOT in tennis shoes!  Ha!)

In the end, zip lining was the best adventure I have had in a long time.  I am so glad we did it!  The only thing that would have been better would have been sharing the day with our oldest kids.  It would have been so fun to have them with us that day!