"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, June 7, 2016

Graduation

Although the preparations came down to the wire, it was a wonderful graduation celebration.  My heart is overflowing with joy and gratitude as I hide these things away in my heart.

Jamison is a very sentimental (though not sappy) young man.  He wanted our home to reflect his journey as we celebrated his graduation with an open house on Friday.  He gave me free reign to decorate as I pleased, and I had so much fun digging through his room and "baby box" as I chose the treasures which I felt best described who he was, who he is, and who he will become.

 This was the guest book table.  It had "bluey" the blanket that he loved to shreds on one side and his most winning spikes on the other.  Treasures, both of them.
 We turned his racing bibs into a banner, and we hung his first sports "jersey" from T-ball and his preschool picture and diploma close by.
 I called this the wall of Jam.  (His teammates called him Jam, and the wall was covered with pictures, awards, and memorabilia from his days at CHS.)
Throughout the house I had various senior pics framed and displayed.  My amazing husband sent me flowers.  His card made me laugh.  It said, "One more down, four more to go!"  It was good to laugh.  I spent much of the week leaking happy, nostalgic tears as I put together a video which highlighted a mere 550 of my favorite photos of Jamison growing up.  

Here are just a few of my very favorites from his early days:
















As I looked through 18 years worth of photos of my son a few things stood out - Jamison has always been a really good brother.  I have hundreds of photos of Jamison mentoring his siblings in one way or another.  And, he and Sierra have a very special bond.  Sierra always calls him her hero - but until I looked through ALL of our photos at the same time, I never realized how many I have of just those two side by side.  Sierra has been requesting photos with her big brother since she was old enough to talk, so I have SO many of the two of them over the years.  Lastly, Jamison does not fight to be in the limelight.  I do have many photos of him, and when I ask him to be in one, he never refuses.  However, I do not have nearly as many pics of Jamison as I do of Sierra and Brenna, who LOVE to have their picture taken.  But, I have many more of him than I do of Krissy, who refuses photos whenever possible!

On Friday evening we had an open house to celebrate Jamison.  He requested the menu - his dad's delicious smoked cheeseburgers, baked beans, raw veggies, water, and a chocolate fountain.  We had games set up in the yard and tables both inside and out.  It was a very fun evening.  Jamison had many, many of his friends and mentors come and wish him well.  He was an amazing host, never leaving the front entry so that he was sure to say hello and good-bye to each person who came.  (That was his idea by the way, not mine.  I was so impressed with his thoughtfulness.)  Here are a few photos of the evening:
 Trying out the chocolate fountain, which was supplied by Grandma Donna.
 Making sure the video is set just right.
 Chad insisted on hand making each hamburger patty, making sure the spices were evenly distributed.  He smoked each burger for at least an hour before cooking them.  He truly makes the BEST burgers I have ever eaten.
 Jamison was thrilled with the number of people who came that evening.  Time is certainly a most treasured gift.
 Coach Hendo and Coach Lies were there.  Though we all kept it festive I owe them a very specific thank you for all the ways they mentored my son these last years.  They taught him as much about character as they did about running, and they loved him like a son/brother.  We are forever indebted.


In addition to a herd of college and high school students there was a wonderful mix of Jamison's family members, friends, teachers, and mentors.  There is a reason he has become such an amazing young man, he was surrounded by amazing people who invested much his entire life.

Saturday, Jamison spent the day attending the open houses of his friends.  Chad and I and the kids were able to spend a relaxing day with Chad's dad and his wife.  They flew in to celebrate Jamison's graduation (and visit the rest of their ND kids).  We do not see them often, so a lazy day together was really special.



Sunday morning Lyle and Mary headed toward Chad's sister's home, and the rest of us got pretty for Jamison's graduation ceremony.  He indulged us in half a million photos before, during, and after the ceremony.




 We took these photos by the front door because that is where I have taken most of the kids' back to school pictures.  It just seemed right to take his final high school pictures in the same location.  (And yes, I had tears in my eyes as I walked outside with my camera to capture these final pics.)
 Though Sierra was the first to ask for a photo with Jay in his cap and gown, all her siblings quickly followed.
 Don't let that sober face fool you!  Mataya yelled, "ME NEXT!" and raced into her biggest brothers arms right before this photo was snapped.
 I suspect by the time it is Joshua's turn to don a cap and gown he will be the taller of the brothers.

 This is Chad's precious momma.  I am so thankful for her always faithful, always helpful, always loving contribution to our family.  She is a gift.
 Sandwiched between my guys.  I am so stinkin' proud of them both.
 Being a momma is the most precious, most beautiful, and most difficult thing there is on this earth.  You love your kids so very much it takes your breath away and yet the goal is to give them wings.  Letting go is clumsy and awkward and painful - but so necessary.  I do a fairly good job of letting go on the outside, but in my heart I will hold him close forever.  
My very best moments are spent surrounded by these precious ones.

We headed off to the ceremony via bus!  Mataya was SO happy to finally ride on a school bus, which shuttled us from the high school to the civic center since parking was an issue.
(I know. . . I should not be allowed to take selfies.  I stink at it!)

The ceremony for his class of +/- 450 kids was long.  Add to that it began at 1:00, which is nap time.  So, Mataya was crazy.  She and I watched much of the ceremony on the big screen while she ran laps in the hallway - but we did see Jamison walk across the stage and receive his diploma!








 After the ceremony, we had an impromptu pizza party with Jamison's local grandparents and  his Godparents so that we could be sure and get photos with them all.
 My dad and Jamison have a special bond.  My dad has rarely missed one of Jay's races.  They text and talk often.  I adore the way they love each other.  It is really beautiful. (Confession - I cropped Grandma out of the above photo.  Her eyes were closed, but Jay-man and my dad looked so good I could not just delete them!  Sorry mom!)
 It was really important to me to get photos of Jamison with his grandparents on his graduation day.  The only photos I have of myself alone with my grandparents (both sets) were taken on my graduation day.  My heart is so tender after losing my grandma and grandpa Regner so recently - in fact I nearly tried to text my grandpa when I heard there was an online link to the ceremony, only to remember that he would be watching from heaven . . . BUT that tender heart made these pictures of Jamison with his amazing grandparents (all of them) that much sweeter to me.  We are so blessed.


My brother and his wife - my precious sister, Emily -  have been amazing Godparents to Jamison.  I am so grateful for the intentional way they have reached out to him as he has grown.  They have loved him and prayed for him, what a blessing they are.

Hilariously, after all these photos were snapped, Jamison, my dad, and my husband all took long naps.  I guess maybe that too was a rite of passage?  He's all grown up now and napping with the men?!?

In all seriousness, I could not have asked for a better celebration.  Jamison was kind and thoughtful and indulgent.  Many, many people chose to celebrate with us.  The weekend was busy but not overwhelmingly so - which gave me space to process.  Best of all, Jamison had fun, felt honored and respected and loved, and he loved us well in return.

My heart is full.

I am so very thankful.

Jamison Chad, you have been a complete joy to raise.  A complete joy.  I have savored every moment.  And no matter where you go and what you do, know that your momma loves you more than you can imagine.  I will be covering you with prayer, my son.  Every day that I love, I will be covering you with prayer.  

And in all honesty, I feel like 1000 pounds have been lifted off my shoulders.  I did it.  I survived this spring and all the BIG events it contained - both the planned and the unplanned ones.  I am hoping and praying for a time of normal busy and normal stress.  A time to rest and reflect and process and heal.  Please, Lord?