"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, June 19, 2016

Wyatt is ONE!

One year ago, today, Chad and I became grandparents.

GRANDPARENTS!!!!!

Of all the titles I have ever had, Grandma (or LaLa as I prefer) is the one for which I was least prepared.  In all honesty, I still don't feel much like a grandma.  Or at least, like I thought I would feel like when I was a grandma.



I love our grandson totally and completely.  He is truly the sweetest little soul.  He is always happy, always smiling, always content.  He loves food more than any other little guy I have ever seen.  He has the cutest boot scoot crawl in the universe.  His deep blue eyes and soft, blond curls are beyond precious.  And when he blows kisses. . . don't even get me started on when he blows kisses. . .

So you see, I know how to gush like a grandma.

What feels lacking is time.

I always envisioned my grandkids becoming the center of my universe every time they entered my home.  BUT our home is brimming with life, and NO ONE (save Jesus) is the center of my universe.  Wyatt, though adored, has to wait in line for LaLa's love and attention.  Some days I worry he will grow up feeling like LaLa always had time for everyone BUT him.  UGH!!!!!  I am so busy parenting that I often wonder if I am even a tolerable grandparent.

And then I remember my grandmas.

When I entered the home of my Grandma Flach, I became the center of her universe.  I was a part of everything she did.  When she cooked, she would have a fun little job for me.  She planned games and crafts and camping trips and outings.  She read books and popped corn and played badminton.  She was so fun.

When I entered the home of my Grandma Regner, I became a member of her household.  Her youngest kids were six when I was born.  I grew up playing with them, cutting beans, pulling weeds, and doing whatever other tasks needed to be done.  She taught me to pick chokecherrries and make jelly.  She brought me along when she cleaned her father's home and changed his bedding.  She planned outings to pick corn, so I could experience farm life even though I was a city kid.

And you know what?

I felt absolutely loved by both of them.

And I looked forward to time in both of their homes.

Furthermore, I miss them both like crazy.

So. . . although I expected to grandmother like my Grandma Flach, at this stage of life my grandmothering looks a lot more like my Grandma Regner.  It is my prayer that although Wyatt is not the center of my universe, he will always know he is adored completely and totally by me.

Because THAT is exactly how I feel.

Yesterday, we celebrated Wyatt John's first birthday.  His other Grandma made him the cutest smash cake.  Our little piggy-poo was shockingly sober while he ate.  But he surely enjoyed all the blue frosting.






 What I lack in "spoiling" I gain in experience.  I had a smash cake plan.  We let him eat naked on the patio.  When he was done smashing his cake, we carried him over to the water table and gave him an outdoor sponge bath while he splashed happily.  It worked perfectly.  No mess inside and a happy baby through it all!!

 Like most one year olds, he loved the wrapping paper more than the gifts!
However, he was definitely a BIG fan of the inflatable bouncy house his momma and daddy bought for him.  He may not walk yet, but he can butt bounce like a boss!

Wyatt John, at one year, you are a man of few words - but you charm us all with your smiles, claps, kisses, and waves.  You are the sweetest little guy, who can charm the grumpiest of grumpies with your sweet grin.  You and Auntie TayTay are beginning to play nicely together, but you have put up with a lot of Auntie's sass to get to this point.  You are a rare breed, precious one.  I am not sure I have ever been around a more pleasant and adaptable baby.  I fear you have spoiled your mom and dad!  I so enjoy caring for you three days a week.  Having so much time with you this past year has been such a treat.  LaLa loves you wide and high and deep and long, Wyatt John.  BUT my deepest prayer is that you realize Jesus loves you higher, deeper,and longer still.  Miles and miles and miles higher and deeper and longer.