"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Saturday, June 18, 2016

Leaving "Little" Behind

This week it happened. . .

Brenna Joy painted over every last inch of pink in her room.  Sniff, sniff.


To be completely honest, I was NEVER a fan of Brenna's hot pink walls.  I tried to talk her out of them - but to help her paint over them was still terribly sad.  You see, in my momma heart, removing all the crazy hot pink in her room was a bit like painting over the last of her childish ways.  "The pink is too crazy,"  she claimed.  "I want something soothing and soft, that goes with everything.  Like grey."

When a girlie chooses grey paint, you know all the little is gone.

Her grey walls are lovely.

They are serene.

She has beautifully arranged black and white photos on her walls.  It is very artsy and very grown up.

Like my Brenna is.

It's official, even my one-time baby girl, is all teenager.



Photography by Joshua - and it pretty much sums up our Brenna.  Artsy, silly, serious, and addicted to her phone.  

It is a gift to watch each of my kids blossom and change daily.  But once in a while, I need to step back and REALLY look at them.  They grow and change and mature so quickly that I almost miss it in the mix of mundane crazy. Taking the time to paint with Brenna - to invest in a project just she and I - caused me to step back and really notice just how mature she has become.  

Brenna Joy, Joy - I am so proud of you.  You are helpful - always noticing housekeeping and cooking tasks that need to be done.  You have an amazing eye for line and color.  You are a wonderful artist and amazing musician.  You are a respectful daughter, a caring friend, and a patient sister.  You are a deep thinker, mathematical, analytical, and inquisitive.  You seem quiet, but you are not afraid to express your opinions and stand your ground.  I am so very thankful for you.  So very thankful.