"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Tuesday, June 20, 2017

Lake FUN!

Admittedly, most of the time we spend at the lake we are working.  HOWEVER, I make sure we mix in an adventure or two every time we are there.  (Can you believe it?  I am learning to be the fun parent!)

So far we have:


Raced to the back of the lot to watch the sunset - my personal favorite - at least once every weekend.




Gone fishing.



I am learning to enjoy tolerate the four wheeler.  Generally speaking, I would rather walk or run or kayak than drive - but I am learning to use the four wheeler to get me to the places I long to explore on foot or boat.  The kids (Mataya included) still coach me as I start it - but I am learning!



We have had the kayaks in the water a couple of times.  I have so much fun in them.

Mataya, her daddy, and Joshua totally enjoy the four wheeler.



 We have done a bit of exploring in nearby towns.  One evening the kids and I drove into Harvey.  Jamison and Joshua tried out the disk golf course.
 Brenna, Sierra, and I tagged along - alternating watching them play and goofing around in the park.

We stopped at  the local version of Dairy Queen for a treat before returning to the lake.  We are looking forward to spending more time in the small towns near the cabin.  We have scoped out the  movie theater, bowling alley, pool, several parks, a church and a restaurant or two that we hope to investigate as time allows.
 We have done the tiniest bit of hiking.  Mataya likes to explore on foot, like her momma and biggest brother.  Joshua prefers "horsepower" like his dad.
 Because of weather, we have only had the jetski in the water once.  We did enjoy that one time though!
 I have been training for a half marathon, which means I have explored miles and miles of gravel roads and prairie trails in every direction of our lot.  One weekend, I spotted the most beautiful wildflowers in the ditch.  I knew I HAD to bring Mataya there to pick flowers.  She loves flowers and rocks and feathers and grasses and weeds and leaves.  Truth be told, she has even proudly brought me the fluffy, white cotton that is blowing in the wind right now.  (Yuck!  I am totally allergic to that fluff!)  Where we see weeds or allergens, Mataya sees beauty.  And she delights in it.  It is precious.

So I loaded up Mataya and Joshua on the four wheeler on a several mile trek to gather wildflowers.  Mataya was so excited!  Joshua was just happy I was driving the four wheeler.  He figured he better go with to supervise.


 Diving back to the lake with our large bundles of flowers was an adventure in itself.  We giggled and giggled as Mataya's fist full of flowers kept obstructing my view, not to mention tickling my nose.
 Those wildflowers definitely made a beautiful bouquet!
(Fragrant, too!  So fragrant that we had to move it into the cabin.  Ha!)


While we all know that next summer will be much more fun, I am determined not to wait a year for  adventure and laughter and silliness.