"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Sunday, November 19, 2017

Thirty Days of Thanks - 18 Years


We are celebrating Sierra's eighteenth birthday this weekend.

18.

A legal adult.

Sort of. (In my estimation, eighteen is really clumsy.  Young people are told that this birthday equals adulthood, yet they most are far from capable of providing for themselves.  As a parent, I dread this stage.  I just find it soooo awkward.  But, that is not what is truly on my heart.)

Eighteen and "all grown up" brings up all sorts of nostalgia.

Sierra always claims to be our only surprise baby.  In truth, Chad and I had decided to have  another baby - but then got cold feet, wondering if we could afford one.  We found out a week or so later that Sierra was on the way!  Her middle name is Faith because that was our lesson while waiting for her to arrive.  God always had and always would be faithful to provide.  While pregnant with her, our insurance company had a special prenatal program. The entire pregnancy and delivery only cost $252 out of pocket.  We rejoiced in His faithfulness and named her Faith, praying that she, like we, would grow in faith daily.

She and Krissy are three years and four months apart.  Which means I was basically pregnant or nursing for five years in my early twenties.  I was so blessed with joyous pregnancies.  It was a precious time.  When the time for Sierra's delivery drew near, my doctor (who had not delivered Krissy and Jamison) asked me how this would go.  I explained that my first two babies were induced.  Since Sierra was due on Thanksgiving Day, and I did not want to be in the hospital on Thanksgiving, I suggested we induce a few days early.  We set the date of November 18.

Bright and early on November 18, we arrived at the hospital.  The doctor asked me, again, how this should go.  I remember cheekily telling him to break my water, start the pit, and come back in two hours to deliver our baby.  He laughed - but followed my advice.

Two hours and two pushes later, Sierra was placed on my chest.  The doctor was shocked - but pleased. (I actually remember him high-fiving the medical student who was with him.  Which I would not call great bedside manners, but it was memorable!)

I can recall the moment she was born with complete clarity.  Chad was standing near my head, and just as Sierra was crowning, the phone in our room began to ring.  She slipped into the doctors waiting hands, was declared a girl, and placed on my chest as that phone continued to ring.  I gazed deep into her eyes and then looked up at Chad and said, "Would you answer that, please?"  It was truly hilarious.

On the phone was our dear friend Sally.  She is a nurse and was checking on my progress, never dreaming baby would have arrived.  Sally was the first to know of our baby's arrival and her gender!  And she is someone Sierra adores to this day.

After Chad got off the phone, the doctor asked, "So what is her name?"

Once again, I remember looking up at Chad and waiting for a response.  The one thing about Sierra's arrival that was truly a surprise was her gender.  We had several boy's and girl's names chosen.  I was insistent that if she was a girl her middle name be Faith - but her first name was up to her Daddy. 

Chad replied, "This little girl's name is Sierra Faith."

And it has proven the perfect name.  Sierra Faith - faith as high and as beautiful as the mountains.

Sierra has always our easiest child in certain ways.  She sucked her thumb as a baby (OK so from infancy until grade 3!), which made her particularly content.  Sierra is tender, loyal, EXPRESSIVE, and fun.  She has always been irrepressible.  I envision her will like a helium-filled balloon pushed underwater.  Though she has had several hard-knocks in life, her irrepressible will quickly pops her back up and she is soaring again. 


Sierra is smart, hard-working, determined, and always has a plan.  She is very intentional - seeking to build-up others in very specific ways.


As a momma, Sierra has been such a gift to me because she has trusted me with her heart in a rare way.  And she understands mine.  We have broken the rules, she and I.  In these turbulent high school years, we have been friends.  Yes, I am momma first.  I have had to make rules and enforce them.  I have not chosen to be her friend rather than her parent.  Likewise, she respects me as mom.  But she gets my guts, and I get hers.  I know by her walk how her heart feels, and she knows by the angle of my shoulders how my heart is.  When I speak, she hears my heart not just my words and that is such a gift.

Next year, she plans to head off to UND.  Her majors will likely be pre-physicians assistant and Spanish.  Many people ask us how we will live apart - but I am not worried.  I am excited.  She is SOOOO ready to spread her wings and experience new things.  It will be awesome to witness.  And thanks to FaceTime, texting, phone calls, etc. . . our relationship will not end, it will deepen and expand.
Of all her senior pictures (and she had tons of gorgeous ones taken by TWO amazing photographers) this is my favorite because it totally reflects my daughter.  

It is bold, uniquely beautiful, slightly controversial, and oozing with personality.  It reflects her love of fashion (those shoes!) along with her love of outdoors.  It reminds me of what a hard working overcomer she is.  (Among other things, she blew out her shoulder freshman year and relearned to shoot left handed though she is right handed and right eye dominant.) And they smirk?!? Oh, it is soooooo Sierra! 

 Happy, Happy Golden Birthday Beautiful One! 
 I am deeply grateful for the gift you are!