"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Thursday, November 16, 2017

Thirty Days of Thanks - Flexibility


(If this photo does not define flexibility mixed with exhaustion, I do not know what does?!?)

One of the biggest assets I have in life is a flexible schedule.  I truly do not know how our family would flourish if I were in a traditional work setting.  Daily, my schedule bends, changes, and flip-flops because of the ever changing needs of our family.  It is a rare day in which I do not have to rearrange something in order to serve my family better.  

This week, in a rare moment of clarity, I decided to use this asset for my own sanity!  Typically, I change my schedule backwards and forwards to make the lives of Chad and the kids easier.  I reroute in a moment to better suite their needs and wants.  However, I stick to schedules and deadlines for myself.  Even as things around me change, I refuse to move my own deadlines.  I sleep less, relax less, exercise less, whatever it takes - but I do not leave an assignment unaccomplished.

This week, I was stressed.  I had a work deadline (that someone outside of our company had imposed) that was possible to meet only if I gave up sleep and sanity.  Ordinarily I would have made it happen.  I would have chosen exhaustion and stress over admitting "defeat."

Thankfully, this week, I chose to give myself grace.

Did you hear that?!?

I GAVE MYSELF GRACE.

I realized that if I delayed a meeting by a day or two, my stress would dissipate.  The assignment would be completed without undo stress, loss of sleep, and sanity.  I would be much more peaceful, not to mention happier.  And the delay would affect NOTHING, except that my pride would sting a smidgen when I admitted I was not ready when I was "supposed to be" ready.

So, I delayed a meeting, took a nap, and caught up on some things that were truly urgent.

AND I FEEL SUCH RELIEF!

I am deeply grateful that I have such a flexible schedule.  Chad and I have worked hard to protect it because we know it is essential for the health of our family - however, it is also a gift the Lord has allowed.  I know many people that long for, yet do not have this luxury.  It is a gift that I do not take for granted, ever.  Our lifestyle does not allow for much "me time" but it does allow me to spend my days serving my family in a very hands-on way, more often than not as chauffeur, laundress, personal shopper, or cook with a large side order of "office manager" thrown in out of necessity.  No matter what I am doing, my focus is on how I can best serve our family.  I never have to choose between work goals and family goals because they all merge into one.  I am deeply, deeply thankful.

(Now, I better get to work on that assignment I delayed.  Flexible is great - but that doesn't mean I don't have work to do!  HA!)