"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, January 16, 2015

CHS Formal 2015

 This morning I ironed her very first formal dress with teary eyes.

On one hand, I was SO excited for her day.
On the other, I just wanted her to be little again and playing dress-up.

As I hung her dress in the window, I had visions of all the dresses I will hang there.  Formals, prom dresses, bridesmaid dresses, and some day. . . her wedding dress.  (Insert tears here.)

I thought a lot today about how fleeting time is.  How easy it is to hold on tight.  How very hard it is to let go.  I argued with God a bit that I was not ready to let another one go, even the tiniest inch.

And then my tall son texted me.

One of his coaches had been badly injured over the holidays.  The boys, on their own (AKA with no mommas urging or organizing), chose to buy gift cards to restaurants for this coach because they know he enjoys eating out.  They collected about $300 in gift cards from their small team and delivered them to the shocked coach.  Jamison's text explained the delivery, "Today we gave coach somewhere around $300 in money and gift cards.  He started crying and said that he is going to get healthy so he can coach us in track even if they don't give him a job."

I am so thankful for the precise timing of this text. I am so proud of the man my son is becoming.  I rejoice in the fact that he knows how to love big, encourage sincerely, and give generously.  His text reminded me that there are many exciting things to look forward to as my kids grow.  

I love that God used these boys to not only encourage the coach today but also my tired mommy heart.

By the time I picked up Sierra from school, I was ready to celebrate (rather than mourn) another milestone in her life. 
 Sierra curled her hair, and then Krissy styled it.
 Krissy also did Sierra's eye make-up.


 (snapchat break)
 It was beyond wonderful to have Krissy here today.  She is really great with hair and make-up (which I am not!).  She was also so calm and encouraging to Sierra, who may or may not have been quite nervous.
 Nail credits and photo credits go to Brenna!

Sisters came in handy today!
 Hunter was incredibly patient!  Incredibly!  When Sierra is nervous, she talks a mile a minute.  I teased him that he may need earplugs.  He thought it was hilarious when I quietly brought him a pair.  Sierra is a good enough sport that she thought it was (sort of) funny, too.  



And now I am waiting for the princess to return from the Ball.

Yet another first.

As Sierra would say, "Jesus take the wheel."

(PS - Sierra did not have the night of her dreams.  Her dress broke.  "Luckily" the FACs teacher helped her hold it together with binderclips and paperclips.  It was not exactly the look she was going for.  She walked in the back door and mournfully yelled, "Mom!  MOM! MOOOOOM!  My dress broke!"  I could tell that if I expressed my sadness for her she would burst into tears, which was NOT what she wanted to do in front of Hunter.  So I made a joke about how Cinderella lost a slipper. . . and gave her a hug.  Hunter left, and we ate cake.  Thick slices of chocolate cake.  Comfort food anyone?  HA!  She will never forget her first formal, that is for sure!)