"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Monday, January 12, 2015

Hibernating

It has been very cold.  Very, very cold.  Our kids go outside for recess until it is -10*.  Joshua has not been outside for recess since 2014.  (His poor teacher!!!)

Since I HATE the cold, Mataya and I have been hibernating.  Our skin only touched the cold air one time last week!  For real!  I did drive the kids from place to place a couple of times, but onlyonce did I leave the warmth of my garage/car/home.

I have NEVER loved cold weather more!

I am so very thankful for this extended time at home.  It has healed my heart, soul, and mind in so many ways.

Additionally, I have finally been able to do things that matter on the weekend.

Saturday, I woke up early with Mataya.  When she took her morning nap, I went back to bed and slept until 11:30.  Then I showered and took Brenna and Sierra out for appetizers where we had a special Bible study time.  (The girls and I have been spending time each Saturday reading through James.  I am loving it.  So are they.)  When we got home, Chad and I went on a quick date.  We spent the evening watching football snuggled up on the couch.

I commented to Chad that I had not gotten anything that didn't matter done that day - and we celebrated the fact that it would create no anxiety for me or our kids in the week to come.

When I was working both jobs, it was imperative that I spent weekends doing things that did not matter.  I use the term "things that don't matter" in reference to things that will only be undone very quickly and have little or no relational significance.  Things like laundry, vacuuming, dusting, meal preparation all MUST be done.  They are important, and yet they aren't.

For the past several years I was living a life with out margin.  Spending a Saturday invested in relationships rather than tasks was a recipe for disaster.  What a sad way to live.

I am so very thankful that we are living a much more balanced lifestyle once again.

And that laundry and cleaning. . . don't worry.  Mataya and I tackled it today.  Hibernation is good for that!  In the past week we have cleaned out the pantry and storage room.  We have washed the "hard" stuff like rugs and shower curtains.  We have put away all the Christmas stuff.  We have completed many year end tasks for the company.  We have paid a ton of bills and reconciled multiple accounts. We have been very productive girls,  AND we have had time to play, cuddle, nap, and read books.

2015 is off to such a marvelous start.  Relationships come before tasks which matches my core beliefs.  I am very thankful for the changes we have made to allow me to be me.

Very, Very, Very thankful.