"May the God of hope fill you with great joy and peace as you trust in him." Romans 15:13

Friday, November 6, 2015

A Date with My Little Ones

This will begin as a confession of a tired and grumpy mom.  I have NOT been looking forward to this weekend - actually, I have not been looking forward to this month!  Chad has big hunting plans for the month of November.  He will more than likely be hunting every weekend, and one whole week between today and Thanksgiving.  While I am happy for him (truly I am) I have been feeling overwhelmed.  When he is off playing, I shoulder more responsibility, and to be totally blunt, I have not been in the mood.

That said, today has been such a blessing.  I head to bed in a bit with a heart full of gratitude.

The morning began with a stand-off between Joshua and myself.  He was determined to wear shorts to school, and with highs set to be 43*, I had to set a "no way Jose" type of boundary.  Thankfully, the Lord and I spent a bit of time together in the pre-dawn hours, and His strength allowed me to handle the situation in a very healthy way.

A very gracious friend met Mataya and myself at a mall play area and she and I chatted for several hours.  Mataya played nicely, and God used this friend as a source of strength, understanding, laughter, and encouragement.

I had a bit of time with my handsome grandson.

And after Joshua got home from school, we declared it "date night!"

Joshua spends much time in activities that are not totally age-appropriate.  He tags along tot he big kids' events and tolerates Mataya's baby play.  He is typically a trooper, for which I am very thankful!  However, tonight I decided the focus would be on his needs.  It was a precious time.

I allowed him to choose supper. . . McDonald's, of course.

We RARELY go to McDonald's.  And we NEVER, EVER play at McDonald's.  So, the time we spent eating and playing was really special.
He is always good to Mataya, but tonight he was the perfect big brother.

He helped her play and protected her from the bullies that always linger at the top of the play structure.  He was so very good with her that I had two moms comment on just how lucky Mataya is to have him.  I was so thankful he was able to hear their compliments!  He certainly earned them!

"She's lovin' it!"

We got home, put on jammies, and snuggled up to watch a movie.  Our choice was Inside Out.  It was really good!  (I can not tell you the last time I sat through a whole movie.  I am ashamed to admit it - but I either sleep or "task" while he watches TV.  Sitting with him is rare.)

While we watched Mataya alternately played and snuggled happily.

And when the movie ended, she was ready to go to bed.  She has been fighting bedtime - but tonight she was peaceful and happy to climb into her crib after one last snuggle and prayers.

Joshua, too, climbed up to his room with a big hug and a soft smile.  I gave him a HUGE hug (to which he yelped "girl cooties!!! girl cooties!!!) and whispered into his ear that I had a great time with him today.  He hugged me right back, kissed my cheek, and said, "Me too Mom!  Thanks!"

Thank you Jesus for filling my cup as only You can.  You are so faithful.